Duck Getting Very Wet

ducklover005

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2021
Hello everyone! My Swedish drake recently was sick with what the vet thinks was some type of infection. He was unable to stand or walk, but has gotten much better since. I gave him medication and let him rest for 2 weeks, as the vet advised. He’s back to walking, and being a crazy little duck.

Here in Oregon, it rains a lot. My two ducks love the rain and always get excited when it rains. My healing drake gets completely soaked when it rains. He isn’t waterproof at all like his brother. I’m wondering if it’s due to the medication messing with the oil gland somehow?

I gave him a warm bath with dawn dish soap and blow-dried him. I put him back in his covered coop with fresh straw to keep him warm and dry. Any suggestions??

Presumably, while he was sick hygiene practices were being underdressed, more specifically bathing, and oil distribution. The lack of both can create issues of the integument by creating debris accumulation over the feathers, and cause the microscopic barbs on the feathers to un-lock which allows water penetration into the feathers, and down, leaving you with a wet duck. Other common causes can include ectoparasites infestations or problems of the oil gland. I suggest looking over his body for any sign of mites or lice, and checking his oil gland (located pygostyle). A healthy oil gland is oily, and not swollen. If the area is dry, apply warm damp compress and massage daily.

Bathing with dawn soap should only be indicated in cases of severe feather contamination such as oil spills; excessive use of such products strip any remaining oils off the integument worsening the problem. Wet feather is treated by slowly reintroducing water back into the duck's environment. In cold climates, this can be difficult so instead mist his feathers during the warmest part of the day. As spring approaches, slowly try to introduce deep water to induce oil distribution and debridement of any debris.

Presumably, while he was sick hygiene practices were being underdressed, more specifically bathing, and oil distribution. The lack of both can create issues of the integument by creating debris accumulation over the feathers, and cause the microscopic barbs on the feathers to un-lock which allows water penetration into the feathers, and down, leaving you with a wet duck. Other common causes can include ectoparasites infestations or problems of the oil gland. I suggest looking over his body for any sign of mites or lice, and checking his oil gland (located pygostyle). A healthy oil gland is oily, and not swollen. If the area is dry, apply warm damp compress and massage daily.

Bathing with dawn soap should only be indicated in cases of severe feather contamination such as oil spills; excessive use of such products strip any remaining oils off the integument worsening the problem. Wet feather is treated by slowly reintroducing water back into the duck's environment. In cold climates, this can be difficult so instead mist his feathers during the warmest part of the day. As spring approaches, slowly try to introduce deep water to induce oil distribution and debridement of any debris.
Awesome thanks for the detailed reply! I’ll be sure to follow these steps and avoid soap in the future. I’ll check his oil gland tomorrow morning and update you guys on his progress.

Back
Top Bottom