Duck had leg amputation

Kroelies

Songster
Apr 21, 2015
Netherlands
Of all days for BYC to go offline, right?

One of the ducks that live in my neigborhood showed up with an injuried leg. I could capture her and took her to the vet. That was last Thursday. The vet said her leg is broken above the ankle and he would probably have to amputate it. Because her leg was all limp and not responding to anything. He operated her on Saturday and we have to give her medicine for a week.

Anyways, her name is Hooks, and she isn't even a year old. I'm so sad to see one of my babies hurt. Will she be happy again? Will she be okay on just one leg? :hit She is lively and super mad when she gets her medicine (she HATES being touched by people) so she does have her spirit!

I will have to get on a computer to upload pictures.

My little Blue Swedish Saga wasn't growing as fast as her 3 sisters and at three weeks old she got trampled by them and broke her leg in what sounds like about the same spot. The vet put some pins in it, and she's healing up fast. Hopefully yours heals up quick too! One thing I did notice is that she seems to be getting around just fine on one leg! In fact, I think she is proud to show off her skills! Haha, amazing little critters!

One thing I am worried about is getting her back in with the others in a few weeks...Will she be an outcast since they haven't seen her in awhile? Her little brooder is right next to theirs, so they can chirp back and forth, but they can't see each other. Anyone have experience with this? I'm putting the other 3 outside in about a week or so, but will still probably have her inside for a month until she is completely healed up and to her normal weight

Giving everyone treats can help, and so can supervised introductions. Monitor them for a few visits, they will probably quickly accept her back. If it takes a little longer I still would not worry. It is up to them, really.

Don't you have a Mallard duck with one leg or a wild mallard that comes there? I'd think as long as she is protected from predators she should do fine.

@BantyChooks

Yes, Pootje the one-legged drake. I haven't seen him since last year, he was in a different part of town. I'm worried for Hooks because there are so many nasty drakes and she will lay eggs :( She had ducklings about two weeks ago and she lost them all in a day. I was so sad :hit Unless there are foxes I think she will be safe. We don't have raccoons or coyotes like in the US

They get along remarkably well with one leg. I think she'll be fine. :hugs

Thank you, I really hope she will be happy, she's getting impatient and wants to leave. The wound is healing fine so she should be ready to go on Saturday! :)

My little Blue Swedish Saga wasn't growing as fast as her 3 sisters and at three weeks old she got trampled by them and broke her leg in what sounds like about the same spot. The vet put some pins in it, and she's healing up fast. Hopefully yours heals up quick too! One thing I did notice is that she seems to be getting around just fine on one leg! In fact, I think she is proud to show off her skills! Haha, amazing little critters!

So sorry for your Saga! I get it right she got surgery? Hooks' wound is healing good and the vet said we have to give her antibiotics for a week and painkillers for four days. And no swimming! which makes her sad. But just 2 more days!

It's amazing how quick they adapt. She was standing after just a day and I can hardly get her out of her bench because she will fly out. She's an escape artist

Will your Saga regain full use of her leg? Ducklings can be very mean to each other, especially when there is one smaller they don't see as a sibling. They are still cute though. My vet was really nice he suggested to take her to a wildlife center but I said I wanted to treat her myself. The bill wasn't even 50 euro, the other vet clinic charges that for merely seeing your pet

@Kroelies I would def keep her away for the drakes through this breeding season. She won't be able to defend herself like she did before and most females can't do a good job of it anyway with so many drakes after them.

@Miss Lydia I wish I could but sadly she will be on her own. I can't keep her in a pen she would be miserable. The wound healed up fine and she was very happy to leave this morning! I couldn't even put her on the ground she flew straight from my hands. I hope she returns soon but for now she's probably very angry with me :c

Here's pictures! For some reason I don't have one showing her leg
DSC02291.JPG
after surgery
DSC02300.JPG
outside
DSC02314.JPG DSC02312.JPG
duck burrito for medicine time! my mum was holding her

Back
Top Bottom