Duck had seizures then died :'(

Shorty3735r

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
South East Tn
Help! My beloved female "alfro" had problems walking. We brought her in a washed her with warm water and I checked her all over. Within the hr she started having seizures one after another and within 10min of that she was dead. We balled like babies because we had her from a hatchling. They are free range and we don't have any chemicals at all around. What could have happened?! Also her little male friend is now acting depressed and doesn't follow our other ducks. Should I find him a friend or let him grieve? I know I should crazy but my ducks are my babies lol. I also have chickens and they are fine....even my Rhode Island rooster that thinks he's a cat (loves to get pet and help and eating cat food)

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png
Unless you get a necropsy done you will likely never know the cause of death. Call your local extension office, they should know who does necropsies on ducks. Meanwhile, keep the duck in the fridge not freezer, until you decide what to do.

If the duck died so quickly, I would venture a guess that these may not have been seizures. Sounds more like a stroke to me. How old was the duck? If it was young there is certainly the possibility that the bird had some sort of condition that had not yet been exposed. Sorry to hear that she died so suddenly!

As for the other duck, I would suggest getting another duck if you have a very small flock. These birds find themselves in close, cohesive groups, and definitely notice changes in the environment. I've always had large flocks of chickens so changes are negligible to the birds (at least I can't notice anything because of the number).

With the name, Alfro, it sounds like she may have been crested.

@Shorty3735r - is that the case? They can be susceptible to neurological problems, if I recall correctly.

Might there have been a snake bite?

I would actually talk to the drake a bit - I don't think they understand each word, but I think they appreciate a good chat. I know our Romy started acting very ill after her best friend Michele died. She pulled through, but I thought we were going to lose her.

She was a mallard but had a very small fro so she was moxed with something. She was less than a year old. We actually got her and the others around April due to people wanting Easter ducks and chicks and not knowing they grow.

Update. The male lasted 2 days without his mate. He passed in his sleep. They are now forever together but it doesnt help our broken hearts. I am now using a flush for the rest just in case it was something they got into. The other 3 are acting fine even though they seem to be passing alot of lining.

I'm so sorry you lost them both. Big
hugs.gif
to you and god bless. I hope the rest remain healthy and you have no more losses.

Patty

Update. The male lasted 2 days without his mate. He passed in his sleep. They are now forever together but it doesnt help our broken hearts. I am now using a flush for the rest just in case it was something they got into. The other 3 are acting fine even though they seem to be passing alot of lining.
@Shorty3735r I don't know what your using for the flush but please be careful with the flush too. Here is the info we have here on BYC..https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

And very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom