Duck has one leg shaking periodically

Has she been eating the puppy pads at all ?
Feed get wet ?
How is her voice ?
Last summer I had my daughter watch my ducks while we were away for a week
We had one young one inside and out two big girls outside
The young one I used a tray to hold the water and feed so it wasn’t spilling onto the bedding
She would change the feed and water but didn’t clean the tray and feed falls in there along with water. He must have ate it ( mouldy feed ) as soon as I got home I knew something was wrong
He hardly had a voice left
I got him to the vet and he did have a fever and infection
He was given penicillin ( kids ) and Medican
Was better in a week
I don’t remember if he had leaking in his nose

Has she been eating the puppy pads at all ?
Feed get wet ?
How is her voice ?
Last summer I had my daughter watch my ducks while we were away for a week
We had one young one inside and out two big girls outside
The young one I used a tray to hold the water and feed so it wasn’t spilling onto the bedding
She would change the feed and water but didn’t clean the tray and feed falls in there along with water. He must have ate it ( mouldy feed ) as soon as I got home I knew something was wrong
He hardly had a voice left
I got him to the vet and he did have a fever and infection
He was given penicillin ( kids ) and Medican
Was better in a week
I don’t remember if he had leaking in his nose
So we have her feed next to her bowl but she's very particular about how she eats. She dumps it in the water. Then waits 30 mins then sifts through the water to eat the food. To stop it going bad we replace her water with food in each hour.

Other than that we sweep the kitchen floor where her bowl each each night to clean up any food that's been scattered. She's definitely still squeaks and quacks, when my wife gets home each day she quack really loudly to greet her.

So we have her feed next to her bowl but she's very particular about how she eats. She dumps it in the water. Then waits 30 mins then sifts through the water to eat the food. To stop it going bad we replace her water with food in each hour.

Other than that we sweep the kitchen floor where her bowl each each night to clean up any food that's been scattered. She's definitely still squeaks and quacks, when my wife gets home each day she quack really loudly to greet her.
Okay that’s good
Rules out the feed getting wet and sitting to long
Even a few hours won’t hurt
My only little guy use to eat then use his water as normal. Then clean out his water with the feed in it too :)
Hopefully the vet gets things figured out for you

When is the last time she saw her flock ?
Wonder if she is getting a bit lonely or sad being apart from them
We have thought of that, we tried to reintroduce them earlier but the male tried to attack her, the outside flock got really stressed and got minor wet feather. So we're waiting till after mating season has ended to try again.

We got a mirror set up for her, and me and my wife alternate working from home days so she always has someone with her aswell. Also been suggested to get her a cuddly toy so got one on the way from Amazon

We have thought of that, we tried to reintroduce them earlier but the male tried to attack her, the outside flock got really stressed and got minor wet feather. So we're waiting till after mating season has ended to try again.

We got a mirror set up for her, and me and my wife alternate working from home days so she always has someone with her aswell. Also been suggested to get her a cuddly toy so got one on the way from Amazon
If they are not able to see each other even through fencing then it’s going to be a slow process to put her back with them
You will need to have her with a fencing where they can see each other not just put her out
When you say the drake attacked her do you mean mate ? Or full on attack ?
My boys right now are really aggressive to mate and my girls need a break so I have a chicken wire fence between them but they all see each other
In the night pen I’m sectioned off
My girls in one
My older drake in his own.
2 younger drakes together and my Swedish 6 week old in their own but everyone is in the same room
When I do have a duck that needs it’s own area I use a puppy play pen inside the area so they are all together but the one that needs medical can still see the flock. This works really well
My mom duck had wet feather back in December and I gave her bath with dawn dish soap then dried her with paper towel and a blow dry so she didn’t get cold
Then kept her from water for 24-48 hours
It was cleared up instantly and didn’t come back
I feel the wet feather came from my boy over matting her. He hasn’t stopped since he started last August unless I separate him giving her a week break at a time
I now have more ducks but unfortunately all my drakes insist on her attention and her neck is a little raw not bad but I keep a close eye on her and know when it’s break time

If they are not able to see each other even through fencing then it’s going to be a slow process to put her back with them
You will need to have her with a fencing where they can see each other not just put her out
When you say the drake attacked her do you mean mate ? Or full on attack ?
My boys right now are really aggressive to mate and my girls need a break so I have a chicken wire fence between them but they all see each other
In the night pen I’m sectioned off
My girls in one
My older drake in his own.
2 younger drakes together and my Swedish 6 week old in their own but everyone is in the same room
When I do have a duck that needs it’s own area I use a puppy play pen inside the area so they are all together but the one that needs medical can still see the flock. This works really well
My mom duck had wet feather back in December and I gave her bath with dawn dish soap then dried her with paper towel and a blow dry so she didn’t get cold
Then kept her from water for 24-48 hours
It was cleared up instantly and didn’t come back
I feel the wet feather came from my boy over matting her. He hasn’t stopped since he started last August unless I separate him giving her a week break at a time
I now have more ducks but unfortunately all my drakes insist on her attention and her neck is a little raw not bad but I keep a close eye on her and know when it’s break time
Yeah he full attacked her wasn't a mating thing we think it was more a territorial thing.

Both our male (blue) and other female (echo) got wet feather at the exact same time when we tried introducing them. We also just let delta(house duck) out in the garden and the other two got very stressed which we think caused the wet feather. We tried the dish soap wash but that didn't fix them. Luckily he hasn't over mated her, we keep a really close eye but he's a gentleman to echo.

All 3 are currently moulting right now which should solve the wet feather issue they have had. We don't want to introduce them again, they get stressed and then have wet feather over winter. Currently in the summer in the UK we don't need to worry about them getting too cold due to the heat.

Our plan was to try and reintroduce them say next march before mating season when it starts getting warmer in the UK after winter. But we don't want delta to be by herself for too long. We make sure one of us is with her during the day, but we aren't a replacement for other ducks. Tbh we're trying to make sure all 3 are as happy as possible.

Also update on delta, her leg is shaking much less, only seen it happen once in the last 2 days. Shes much more energetic and back to her old self. Plus her bumble has now fully healed!

Will do! She's been living inside with us so there's very little chance it'll be Aspergillosis. Her bedding has been puppy pads and soft towels for the past month.

She's not had a loss in appetite but she has stopped laying, so has our outside ducks though. She has been sleeping a lot more. Could the bumblefoot have possibly led to a respiratory infection? The bumble is very small and healing well
What causes bumblefoot?

Back
Top Bottom