Duck Has Started Laying at 2 Years Old?

Caitlin2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Maine
Yes one of my ducks who we thought was a male ended up being a female. I honestly don't know how to sex birds, I just assumed she was a male because she never laid eggs until now. We found this out because we went into her coop the other morning to let her out and we found an egg. This has been happening everyday now for the past week and half. There are no other ducks in their with her, so it is her who is doing the laying. I just find it odd that she has never laid eggs until now. She's a little older then two years old and has never laid until now. What concerns me is the fact that all of the eggs she has been laying don't have shell on them, just the membrane.

Should I be worried? Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Should I contact my vet about this?

She may have been laying but eating them-- if my Duck's lay a soft egg they always eat it. You will want to make sure you are offering Oyster Shell and you might consider Calcium Gluc liquid to her water.

She's not eating them. She lays them in the corner of her coop and then leaves it alone until someone takes it out of her coop. I also provide Oyster Shell daily and do add Calcium in their water weekly.

My concern is her system messed up. She hasn't laid any eggs that I'm aware of until now and she's over 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom