Duck hatcheries?

Apr 7, 2021
I’ve been wanting to add some ducks to my backyard adventures, and finally decided this was the year! But I can’t find any hatcheries so far who have both an affordable price and a minimum order of around 6 or less birds. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would suggest craigslist. In my area I can find them on craigslist and at farm stores like TSC and Wilco. The biggest issue I've found is finding sexed ducklings so be prepared to eat or rehome unwanted males. You can't keep more than one male per 4 or 5 females without risking the health of your females so don't get attached too the extra boys.

I would suggest craigslist. In my area I can find them on craigslist and at farm stores like TSC and Wilco. The biggest issue I've found is finding sexed ducklings so be prepared to eat or rehome unwanted males. You can't keep more than one male per 4 or 5 females without risking the health of your females so don't get attached too the extra boys.
Alright! Thanks!

I’ve been wanting to add some ducks to my backyard adventures, and finally decided this was the year! But I can’t find any hatcheries so far who have both an affordable price and a minimum order of around 6 or less birds. Anyone have any suggestions?

I ordered 4 ducks from Cackle for this year & felt that their small shipping fee was reasonable.

I got four adorable Welsh Harlequin girls from Purely Poultry two years ago. I liked that you could choose the sex and just get a few birds. They aren't show quality (the one in my profile photo is a female but had a yellow bill) or absolutely kick butt layers (compared to the upper limit of what breed charts say Welshies lay per year) but they lay plenty for my husband and I and they arrived perfectly healthy just when the hatchery said they would.

I got four adorable Welsh Harlequin girls from Purely Poultry two years ago. I liked that you could choose the sex and just get a few birds. They aren't show quality (the one in my profile photo is a female but had a yellow bill) or absolutely kick butt layers (compared to the upper limit of what breed charts say Welshies lay per year) but they lay plenty for my husband and I and they arrived perfectly healthy just when the hatchery said they would.
She looks adorable! Thank you for the advice!

Murray McMurray has a minimum of two for ducklings, but shipping is what gets you. I think our order for two Saxonys ended up being $70. I’d check your local Tractor Supply. Most of em have ducklings, you just won’t get to choose the breed or sex. If you want sexed ducklings or a specific breed, shipping for an extra small order - six or below - is always going to be a bit much. That’s just the trade off you make. If you do decide to go the hatchery route, I second Metzer Farms. They have an awesome selection, and I’ve been very pleased with my duckies.

Back
Top Bottom