Duck hatching questions

Bevy326

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Hello. I recently went on vacation and came home to find that my duck sitter was not removing the eggs. I now have two very broody ducks and decided to allow them to try and hatch the eggs. I had numbered them so any new ones could be removed.
I have a few questions. One is they are different breeds of duck. The drake and one of the ducks are Khaki Campbell. The other duck is a Welsch Harlequin. Should the eggs still hatch at the same time? They are sharing one nest. I have candled the eggs and they seem to be around the same stage for the most part. If they do not hatch together should I remove the unhatched eggs? I do have an incubator which I used to unsuccessfully hatch duck eggs a few years back.
My other question is when they do hatch should I still move them to a brooder or will the mama ducks take care of them? And if I do leave them with her would my drake potentially attempt to harm them? Should I separate him?

letting the mom try to hatch eggs in an urban/semi urban environment has alot of 'iffy' factors involved .. you risk losing some or most probably wont make it to maturity on their own .. way i see it, if i need baby birds, im doing it in the bator/brooder, im not babysitting them out in the yard .. if i let a mama bird do it its going to just be a novelty thing, if they make it they make it .. generally though a broody bird with a bunch of eggs usually winds up being a mess for me to clean up at some point, so i dont let them do it ..

I'm not that good with duck breeds but they should hatch around the same time, the only breed that takes longer is muscovy ducks. You should wait a couple days after the babies hatch to remove the unhatched eggs. I use an egg candler which helps determine if they are alive or not. The mama ducks should take care of them out of instinct but you can move them to a brooder. I usually leave them with mom because she deserves her babies after all her hard work. Plus they are fun to watch running around with mom:pop now I haven't had any of my drakes harm the babies but sometimes its not worth taking that chance. I would keep a close eye on them to see his behavior. Hope this helps!

I'm not that good with duck breeds but they should hatch around the same time, the only breed that takes longer is muscovy ducks. You should wait a couple days after the babies hatch to remove the unhatched eggs. I use an egg candler which helps determine if they are alive or not. The mama ducks should take care of them out of instinct but you can move them to a brooder. I usually leave them with mom because she deserves her babies after all her hard work. Plus they are fun to watch running around with mom:pop now I haven't had any of my drakes harm the babies but sometimes its not worth taking that chance. I would keep a close eye on them to see his behavior. Hope this helps!
Thank you that is very helpful!

I'm watching this conversation. Funny, my post started the same way..I just got back from vacation and the eggs were not collected while I was gone. My 4 Rouens laid about 23 eggs which were laid in one spot (6 in another which I collected) and one of my girls started sitting 2 nights ago from what I can see on the security camera. I tried candeling today but wasn't really sure what to look for. I have an egg development chart but at the time I candled and marked the eggs, I hadn't checked the camera to find out when she started sitting. My drake makes her leave the best for food water and shenanigans for a period of time several times a day. I've read they won't sit other ducks eggs but she sure is. Is there an article on here about what to look for in natural incubation duck development/hen behavior? I understand the visual signs of development but I have a couple eggs where the yolk moves. Isn't that pretty normal? How long can she be off the nest before it affects the eggs development?

Back
Top Bottom