Duck hatching questions

zanelee

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Deep in the heart of Texas
Broody muscovy, put 6 possibly fertile eggs under her. Had our first duck egg pip yesterday, and it fully hatched overnight. Now another egg is pipping this morning. I was going to candle them to try and remove the "dead" eggs so as to try and avoid an explosion. Will candling and removing upset mom and baby? Or should I wait until nightfall?
Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Here's a picture of our first....

Any guesses on breed? (Broody duck isn't the mom)
Thanks ya'll!
Jennifer

Broody muscovy, put 6 possibly fertile eggs under her. Had our first duck egg pip yesterday, and it fully hatched overnight. Now another egg is pipping this morning. I was going to candle them to try and remove the "dead" eggs so as to try and avoid an explosion. Will candling and removing upset mom and baby? Or should I wait until nightfall?
Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Here's a picture of our first....

Any guesses on breed? (Broody duck isn't the mom)
Thanks ya'll!
Jennifer
Unless your smelling a strong oder I would wait now since the ducklings are hatching. This is special bonding time between mama duck and her charges. when all hatch that are going to she'll most likely bring them out for a quick trip then you can go in clean out unhatched eggs maybe clean up nasty bedding and refresh every thing for her. What a precious picture Congratulation.

Back
Top Bottom