Duck having seizures

TerriKY

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Last Saturday we put my two ducks and chickens that we bought this spring into a new coop we built. They were all bought together at same time and grew up together. 30 minutes after they were all in the coop, one of the ducks had what looked like a seizure, he flopped over and couldn't move, if he did move it was like he was drunk. Afterward it would just stare then eventually he would be fine and get back into their pool and swim around. It was eating same thing the other duck was and have not had any issues with the other duck. Now he seems to be losing weight and not eating. Does anyone know what this could be? We do not have any avian vets in our area. Please help.

Could be metal or other kind of toxicity - at this point, I would add a teaspoon of charcoal per quart of drinking water to absorb toxins overnight.

It could also be a nutrient deficiency that he is sensitive to. Adding a tablespoon of brewer's yeast to their food each day could help. The wrinkle is, charcoal will absorb some of the B vitamins as well, I think.

You may need to just try each one - perhaps brewer's yeast for a few days, if no improvement, switch to the charcoal or vice versa. I would go with the one I think most likely.

And I would give treats, anything to help him get some calories - peas, perhaps. Mealworms. A pinch of sardines packed in plain water, no salt or oil.

The seizure thing will last less than a min and same way with the drunken act. Ducky I know hasn't ate in two days and he's loosing weight. Where do I find the charcoal and brewers yeast.?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom