Duck lost his brother,

cassandrapettersson

Emu obsessed
Sep 8, 2022
Sweden
My duck recently lost his brother, he was lethargic so we took him inside trying to figure out what was wrong; We were going to euthanize him but it took too long and he ended up dying with us inside.

His brother has been his only friend for years, they were my grandfather's ducks since 2018. They never got along with anyone but each other and were overall an outcast. We had them with our other duck flock but that only caused more bad than good.
Now that his brother has died, he's a complete loner. We moved him back up to the other duck flock so we could keep a closer eye on him. He barely moves, doesn't want to go outside, doesn't want to swim, and only gets up to eat and drink.

He's pretty aggressive, but he has always been this way. He will bite me if he thinks I'm too close thought wouldn't bother getting up to chase me away.

What do I do?
I mean, is he depressed? How can I help him?
1698660616492.png

I'm thinking he is either sick or he is depressed, I believe my Muscovy drake would be devastated if he lost his girls he has live with for 121/2 yrs.

Try giving him so time outside even if he doesn't want to go sunshine can help. Also if you can get some Rooster Booster "Poultry cell "that can give him a boost.
Other than that it takes time to recover when losing someone close so hopefully he is just mourning his brother.
What breeds are the other ducks? and how are they with him?

I'm thinking he is either sick or he is depressed, I believe my Muscovy drake would be devastated if he lost his girls he has live with for 121/2 yrs.

Try giving him so time outside even if he doesn't want to go sunshine can help. Also if you can get some Rooster Booster "Poultry cell "that can give him a boost.
Other than that it takes time to recover when losing someone close so hopefully he is just mourning his brother.
What breeds are the other ducks? and how are they with him?
Thank you,
The others are cayugas, or alike. The drake is mean towards him if he's too close but seems to be afraid to do much. We had another drake that was WAY to mean to the grieving duck, chasing and biting everywhere and anywhere, so we got rid of him. And the drake that remains was never the top male, so i guess that's why he's not so straightforward.
- The girls are curious about him, I've seen them watch him.
1698679130601.png

Picture taken was right now through the cameras

Thank you,
The others are cayugas, or alike. The drake is mean towards him if he's too close but seems to be afraid to do much. We had another drake that was WAY to mean to the grieving duck, chasing and biting everywhere and anywhere, so we got rid of him. And the drake that remains was never the top male, so i guess that's why he's not so straightforward.
- The girls are curious about him, I've seen them watch him.
View attachment 3671529
Picture taken was right now through the cameras
Screenshot 2023-10-30 16.21.03.png
Screenshot 2023-10-30 16.20.16.png

He's beautiful, Muscovy is my love. Hopefully, as the days go he'll start to interact with the other ducks. Some say they can't communicate with other breeds, not Muscovy but I beg to differ. One of my Muscovy females along with 2 of her sisters hatched Runner and Buff ducklings in 2016 and one of my Muscovy females has stayed with them ever since. She sleeps in their coop along with the chickens and has chosen the Runner drake as her "Man"lol She has nothing to do with the Muscovy ducks just hangs with her kids from 2016.
Hopefully, your boy will be accepted and he will accept them. My Runner drakes very much respect My Muscovy drake and never try anything with him.

Back
Top Bottom