Chicken companion for duck. Lost his companion

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
this sounds a bit silly but can a chicken provide temporary company for a duck who lost his mate? I’ve only ever had two ducks and way more chickens and I noticed my bantam has been cuddling with him at night. I’ve been worried about him being alone and been keeping a realistic stuffed animal duck with him. I was just wondering if keeping my chicken with him at night might help him

Depends on his demeanor. Probably best to get him another duck friend…female preferably.
By demeanor, I mean, has he ever tried to mate with a chicken? That could go pretty bad if he did.
I keep my ducks and chickens together, but I have 1 drake and 5 gals. He doesn’t even look at the chickens in that manner.
Nothing wrong with what you’re doing. You know your duck better than we do. If you feel it’s safe, cool. But if you can get him another duck, that would be cooler.

Depends on his demeanor. Probably best to get him another duck friend…female preferably.
By demeanor, I mean, has he ever tried to mate with a chicken? That could go pretty bad if he did.
I keep my ducks and chickens together, but I have 1 drake and 5 gals. He doesn’t even look at the chickens in that manner.
Nothing wrong with what you’re doing. You know your duck better than we do. If you feel it’s safe, cool. But if you can get him another duck, that would be cooler.
he’s a special needs duck who can’t walk very well and can kind of only hop places. He hasn’t tried to mate with any animal since he lost his brother two years ago and even with his last girlfriend he’s never even tried and he’s never shown any aggression to this specific chicken so hmm I’m mostly thinking if it’ll even help him at all. Like if he’ll feel less alone with a chicken or to him it doesn’t make a difference at all

I forgot to follow up I am trying to get another duck right now it’s just extremely hard because I live in a suburban area and barely anyone keeps poultry here 😭!! That’s why I’m just trying to look for a temporary companion until then

I forgot to follow up I am trying to get another duck right now it’s just extremely hard because I live in a suburban area and barely anyone keeps poultry here 😭!! That’s why I’m just trying to look for a temporary companion until then
Take your time if the chicken is cuddling with your duck and he hasn't shown any interest in sex it's probably safe and giving him comfort.
Did you look on the buy-sell trade and rehoming forums here on BYC?
Also your state forum.

Take your time if the chicken is cuddling with your duck and he hasn't shown any interest in sex it's probably safe and giving him comfort.
Did you look on the buy-sell trade and rehoming forums here on BYC?
Also your state forum.
Oh right, I had totally forgotten about that section! Thank you for reminding me, I might post there hopefully I’ll have some more luck finding a duck for me and my boy ☺️

Back
Top Bottom