Pekin duck wound

It’s our spring freezes once the temps go below freezing so we have to use our well water and it’s not feasible to keep a pool full when it is just going to stay frozen then there is a chance of it cracking. Using a cement mixing tub keeps me from wasting water since this tub can be dumped at the end of the day.

That damage is not from a duck molting - it looks like its feathers are being pulled! I suggest you start off by separating from the chickens, and then spend time observing between the two ducks to make sure it's nothing going on there. I have had a duck who was friendly to another duck, same breed, but still pulled her feathers. It went on for many months until I finally observed it and understood the problem. At this point your duck has a big injury and you need to spray with vetericyn, baby the poor guy, and give him every opportunity to heal.

Also, are both ducks male, or is the other

Also, are both ducks male, or is the other one female?
I believe one is male and one is female. I’ve sat with them and have only noticed the chickens pecking at the duck but that has stopped since the duck defends itself now. This all happened in the matter of maybe a day or two. We check on them daily and just randomly noticed it one day

Even if the duck defends itself you should keep them separated. He is being hurt and he could in turn hurt chickens if he tried to mate with them. The way you can tell males and females apart is the quack is loud for females but low and raspy and quiet for males. Also, males have a curled drake feather on their tail. If you have one of each you will need to watch carefully to make sure the female is not overmated - she could be killed by overmating. Typically you need 4-5 females per drake.

Back
Top Bottom