Pekin duck wound

Spencer783019

Hatching
Nov 7, 2023
I have a pekin duck that we noticed had bald spots on both sides of body under his wings. I went to pick him up and noticed his skin looked a little rough and our chickens had been pecking at him cause it to bleed. I’ve been apply spray for wounds that is safe on ducks. He has been eating, drinking and acting normal. He was not attacked either. Only thing I’ve been able to find is he is molting but want to make sure it’s nothing more. Any ideas?

Attachments

• F29A2872-5EFC-4AC4-B25F-5D92322574DA.jpeg
    F29A2872-5EFC-4AC4-B25F-5D92322574DA.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 00BF81FE-13EA-480C-B331-18D467EFF9F1.jpeg
    00BF81FE-13EA-480C-B331-18D467EFF9F1.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 22
I have a pekin duck that we noticed had bald spots on both sides of body under his wings. I went to pick him up and noticed his skin looked a little rough and our chickens had been pecking at him cause it to bleed. I’ve been apply spray for wounds that is safe on ducks. He has been eating, drinking and acting normal. He was not attacked either. Only thing I’ve been able to find is he is molting but want to make sure it’s nothing more. Any ideas?
Hi Spencer, Welcome to BYC!

A few more questions to get the right information…
1. Is he the only duck in your place?
2. Does he have access to fresh water?
3. Did you check for lice and mites?
4. What kind of food are you feeding your ducks?

Hi Spencer, Welcome to BYC!

A few more questions to get the right information…
1. Is he the only duck in your place?
2. Does he have access to fresh water?
3. Did you check for lice and mites?
4. What kind of food are you feeding your ducks?
We have two ducks today with 4 chickens. We give them multiple sources fresh water every morning. I did not see any lice or mites on him just the scabs from where the chickens pecked at him which has stopped. We are feeding the scratch grains that are good for chickens and ducks from what our feed place told us

We have two ducks today with 4 chickens. We give them multiple sources fresh water every morning. I did not see any lice or mites on him just the scabs from where the chickens pecked at him which has stopped. We are feeding the scratch grains that are good for chickens and ducks from what our feed place told us

I’m glad your duck has a companion!

Do your ducks have a place to swim? Ducks need a clean watersource deep enough to swim. That’s how they keep themselves clean of parasites. When you don’t have this at the moment, you need to make this. Don’t let them swim unsupervised the first times. Their suit might be leaking and if they can’t get out themselves…

Also, ducks need some different nutrients than chickens to stay healthy. Maybe the food is sufficient normally but your duck needs some extra vitamins during molting…

where do you live? If in Europe, I can advise you what vitamins to buy and where. If in the States, @Miss Lydia will definitely know where to go.

In the mean time, separate your ducks from the chickens. To prevent things from getting worse…

IMG_5718.jpeg

And if you feed only scratch grains, here’s what Purina says about this. So your duck probably misses some vital nutrients… I’m glad you came to this forum. We are more than happy to help!

I’m glad your duck has a companion!

Do your ducks have a place to swim? Ducks need a clean watersource deep enough to swim. That’s how they keep themselves clean of parasites. When you don’t have this at the moment, you need to make this. Don’t let them swim unsupervised the first times. Their suit might be leaking and if they can’t get out themselves…

Also, ducks need some different nutrients than chickens to stay healthy. Maybe the food is sufficient normally but your duck needs some extra vitamins during molting…

where do you live? If in Europe, I can advise you what vitamins to buy and where. If in the States, @Miss Lydia will definitely know where to go.

In the mean time, separate your ducks from the chickens. To prevent things from getting worse…
Yes they have a pool that we fill up but we eventually took it out due to cold weather moving in. We live in the states. Maybe put it back out for them to help through the molting process now that it isn’t that cold out?

:welcome
Yes i agree with what is being said about scratch grains. i feed them to my flock along with a diet of feed for poultry the scratch grains are only a treat.

If I was you I would get some Blue Kote it is the best stuff for hiding wounds especially if there is blood it will keep the chickens from pecking and will help to heal.
Pick up some Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell" also it will help through molt and beyond.
Here is Blue Kote https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dr-Naylor-Blu-Kote-Veterinary-Antiseptic-Spray-for-Animals-5-oz/26501787 i like the one with the dauber instead of the spray since what ever it hits will be purple. So I use the dauber .i can control where it goes easier.

Yes they have a pool that we fill up but we eventually took it out due to cold weather moving in. We live in the states. Maybe put it back out for them to help through the molting process now that it isn’t that cold out?
It would be great if you can get the pool back up! Ducks swim the whole year round ☺️. Even in the winter when it freezes. In the wild, they live in groups who keep a place in the water from freezing. In your garden they will need your help probably ☺️

I remove my pools in winter once it get down below 32* when it warms up into the 30's I give them a cement mixing tub to wash and play in this way there isn't a frozen pool.

Back
Top Bottom