Jumbo pekin leg injury

duckmom216

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi, my jumbo pekin drake has stopped walking today due to a hurt leg. This happened a couple months ago and he took a week to recover, but I’m wondering what I can do for him to keep him comfortable and help with the pain. His leg is very swollen at this moment and i’ve increased his niacin intake and been giving him supplements. He’s eating and drinking just fine. I just hate to see him laying around unable to move himself :/ I’ve attached some photos of his leg! any insight would be much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpeg
    IMG_4676.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4675.jpeg
    IMG_4675.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4674.jpeg
    IMG_4674.jpeg
    659.4 KB · Views: 7
Do you have access to Meloxicam? That would reduce pain and swelling. I might recommend placing the duck in a cage by himself until he's better, so he can access food and water without competition or pain.

Do you have access to Meloxicam? That would reduce pain and swelling. I might recommend placing the duck in a cage by himself until he's better, so he can access food and water without competition or pain.
I have him separated since the other two were too curious about his let, and would i need a prescription for Meloxicam?

what kind of niacin and supplements are you giving him and how much? Do you have liquid B complex ? that’s the fastest working niacin supplement

what kind of niacin and supplements are you giving him and how much? Do you have liquid B complex ? that’s the fastest working niacin supplement
Yes been giving him the liquid B complex and i also have dosed actually Niacin capsules for his food

What kind of feed is he on? Also for any leg injury, personally, I have them swim in deep water while being supervised. and then soak the leg in Epsom salt water, and give him a little extra niacin/vitamin B complex. I hope he gets better!

Back
Top Bottom