Pekin Duck...Seeking Guidance after Weeks with a Leg Injury

If it's to the point the foot won't flatten out with your help then it may not help. Have you tried to flatten the foot out while holding her? How long has this been going on?

I am keeping her in her "sleeping quarters" now, which she was not pleased with lol. I assumed she would immobilize on her own, but I am thinking she has not allowed it to heal properly trying to limp around. Will pick up some B today. I squirted her meds on her food and to administer the aspirin, that worked much better than trying to squirt it in her mouth. Gave her a good epson soak last night. Will do so again today and give her swim therapy and make a splint - that should be interesting. Wanted to summarize my actions...will post updates. Thank you!
Hello! i know this is a few weeks old but I had a suggestion for the boot. When you make it, DO NOT try and open up her foot all the way flat to normal position. She’s got it all twisted up and stiff. That would be super painful and also could cause other or further injuries.

make a cushioned boot situation and gradually stretch the foot back to normal with a split up the leg for stability.

example. open up the foot like, 30% then wrap it up with something cushiony like padded wrap. Then wrap vet wrap around it to hold it in place and keep the foot dry. You do not want her foot wet inside a wrap. That Could cause wet friction, skin rubbing and then infection.

by the time you’re finished with the boot, she should look like she has a Frankenstein platform boot on.

Hope that helps!

i have a Pekin that’s had foot, leg and ankle surgery so I am not way too familiar with making booties

Back
Top Bottom