My Jumbo Pekin has a leg deformity. Is there any way I can help?

AllThoseFloofs

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
I have 3 Jumbo Pekin ducks (they are just pets). The duck in question here is Jemima Puddle Duck. In about mid- January of this year, I noticed she was limping, but didn't think much of it. The limp continued for about 3 weeks. Then, we had a coop fire in early February. Thankfully, all of our ducks were ok. But, due to Jemima's injury, I think she inhaled the most smoke. She ended up getting a respiratory infection from that, and I treated the infection. Once that cleared, she still was limping, and it was getting worse. I called the vet, described the situation, and the vet said that there wasn't really anything they could do at this point. So, we kind of just waited out the rest of the winter. Now that it is warmer out, I've started taking her out of the coop daily and letting her swim in a fresh pool to clean herself off. She can't walk very well, and her bad foot is all curled in and the leg is shorter than her good leg. In addition to ramps and other accommodations to help her move around the yard, Is there anything else I can do to help her situation? Again, she can't really move the foot.

Did you or have you ever given your ducks any niacin supplementation? Duckling especially Pekins are very prone to niacin deficiency and most likely this is what is going on with Jemina so get some liquid BComplex and start giving to her daily 1 ml either over a tasty treat or by mouth. It is the best at helping them once they already have the deficiency.
Here is info and doses and what to get in the liquid B Complex. I’d get her started asap
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Did you or have you ever given your ducks any niacin supplementation? Duckling especially Pekins are very prone to niacin deficiency and most likely this is what is going on with Jemina so get some liquid BComplex and start giving to her daily 1 ml either over a tasty treat or by mouth. It is the best at helping them once they already have the deficiency.
Here is info and doses and what to get in the liquid B Complex. I’d get her started asap
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Thank you! I will definitely try that.

I called the vet, described the situation, and the vet said that there wasn't really anything they could do at this point.
Seems like an awful answer..

Any vet worth their salt should have at least asked to see the patient, get an overall health check, discuss diet, husbandry, etc.. rule out bumble foot, and also assess the pain level and offer some form of relief for pain management (usually metacam/meloxicam) if indicated (at least long enough to see if it improves mobility at all). (Maybe this was all part of the discussion already?) If it wasn't.. I'd likely find another vet then one that will tell me "nothing can be done" over the phone without proper assessment.

Standard ducks usually are fine at 55ppm.. of niacin.. but Jumbo Pekin need to get 70mg niacin per kg of feed. I can't currently find the resource where I got this information.. but will continue to look and try to post a link if I find it. Please describe your feed routine.. to see if there are any other suggestions we can make.. The B complex recommended by the first poster is a great place to start.. even though the others appear to be doing fine and if nutrition is already where it should be (formulated ration without excess low nutrient snacks and such).. some individuals may not be absorbing nutrients as well or something to that effect, due to individual immune systems, foraging habits, etc.

I do hope she starts to improve continues to thrive! :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom