Maybe he is a goose? Are his feet healthy?

itrevorjohnston

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2024
Hi guys.

Meet Frankie the duck.

People lately been identifying him as a goose and I am curious to hear your guys thoughts.

I’ve been pretty sure he is a male Muscovy.

But I am no expert.

Also lately his behaviour hasn’t been the best. He seems to be eating less, he is a lot more moody and his energy seems aggressive and evil.

Sometimes he is a bit aggressive and wants to peck your feet.

I also notice the colour of his feet not as vibrant and some little dark spots forming so I just want to be sure he is good.

He’s just past 4 months old now.

If you have any tips on training him, helping his behaviour and general care I will gladly take it.

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 12
I don't know if you can ever make a lone male duck happy. Someone from the duck forum here should be able to tell you the minimum number of female ducks he needs to keep him happy.

Hi guys.

Meet Frankie the duck.

People lately been identifying him as a goose and I am curious to hear your guys thoughts.

But I am no expert.

Also lately his behaviour hasn’t been the best. He seems to be eating less, he is a lot more moody and his energy seems aggressive and evil.

I also notice the colour of his feet not as vibrant and some little dark spots forming so I just want to be sure he is good.

If you have any tips on training him, helping his behaviour and general care I will gladly take it.
It's definitely a Muscovy. Gender I don't know. Maybe the reason he is acting kind of mean is because it's breeding season. His behaviour sounds like my drake Henry (Saxony). @Miss Lydia has Muscovies, I'm sure she would be glad to help :).

Frankie is def a Muscovy and appears to be a drake. What you are witnessing is hormones they start around this time. If he doesn't have any females he will focus on you as his potential female and that can cause issues. Biting and trying to mate with you are the 2 biggest. I hope you can get him at least a couple of females 3 would be best.
No training will help once hormones start surging. Other than just leaving him alone. He sees you as a potential mate. It will make your relationship difficult. My Muscovy drake and I have had many, all of them hatched and raised by a mama except one and he was brought inside becasue his mama rejected him and I raised him until he was 12 weeks old. He imprinted on me and always saw me as his mama and mate to the point he would fly onto my back if I turned to leave or just keep biting me until I would toss him into the pool [equivelant of a cold shower] But when he turned 4 months old we went and got him 3 females since his dad did not want to share his with him. That was the best thing I ever did for him. But it still didn't completely change his behavior towards me. He passed away at age 12.5 yrs and he was still chewing on me and enjoyed it. lol
Get him some females. They can't help the way they are and actually we cause it since drakes of all poultry need to breed they just need the right mates and not us.

He is a hormonal Muscovy drake that is most likely seeing you as his only option for a mate. If you keep an animal, then give the animal company that is of their own species. He needs Muscovy hens. Also, it is not uncommon for people to think ducks are geese, I have seen that so many times even though it is not hard at all to tell the two apart.

Hi guys.

Meet Frankie the duck.

But I am no expert.

He's a Muscovy duck, a breed that is larger than most ducks, hence the confusion.

For getting him some females now would they need to match his age? Or ducklings will do and they will grow in to it?

I will have to shop around as I don’t believe they sell them sexed.

Back
Top Bottom