The bill colour is normal for a white Muscovy. The amount of carruncle growth (the red fleshy part) and the head shape makes me think male, but I could be wrong. Males will become quite large, up to 15 lbs and sometimes more. Muscovy are known as the Silent Ducks, because they do not quack.

Miss Lydia gave you some amazing info. She's helped me a lot with mine, too.

My main concern here though is that you appear to only have one. This may be a cause for any aggressive behaviour. Ducks, and Muscovy (which aren't true ducks), are social animals. They *need* to have another member of their species with them. Chickens or regular domestic (mallard derived) ducks won't fill that need, although a domestic duck is better than no companionship.

Good luck, and :welcome !
I hear about that a lot and unfortunately it doesn't make sense for us to have two, it just doubles everything. The social time is going on adventures with me or hanging by my desk when I am working.

I do worry it isn't enough and sometimes I can't give him all the attention that he'd like.

I try and put him on the street with the Chickens but they all like who the heck is this guy ahahah. A husky wolf became good friends with him tho.

In that case, it would be better for you to rehome him. I'm sorry. Not trying to be mean, but as I said, they are social creatures that need the company of their own kind. They are not like a dog that will adopt you as their pack mate. Two ducks is not that expensive to maintain.

For the mental well-being of your much-beloved pet, please get him a proper companion. It's not a matter of it 'doesn't make sense for you', it's a matter of the proper care of an animal that is your responsibility.

What sweet pictures. You sound very responsible so I am not going to say rehome him just that you have your work cut out for you. He may become even more bity once sexually mature which happened with my Muscovy drake who I raised becasue his mama attacked him when he hatched. He was such a loving ducking until he was around 3.4 months old then he began to change he still loved the attention but by the time he was 4 months old I knew he needed some females of his own and his dad wasn't going to share his with him. So just be prepared for what may be ahead. When my drake would start biting and coming after me he would get tossed into the pool and for a while after would leave me alone. He did have his own females. When they imprint on us they look at us as part of their flock and if you observe Muscovy in the wild they can be pretty rough with their females. Standing on them chasing them down to mate. I just lost him a few weeks ago he was going on 13 yrs old so that is another thing to think about how long they live.
I've never seen a wild or feral Muscovy in white only from domestic stock so someone had to of bred this duck unless in Mexico the wild and feral come in white? I had 3 solid white with blue eyes when I first started with them and they came from a breeder. Of all the ducklings they hatched never did I get another white with blue eyes.

And remember he isn't a puppy although they do wag their tails like one so getting him out among people is good but he may see things as scary and the only way he can check things out is with his mouth. Also maybe buy a harness for ducks and a leash so you can keep him with you when you're out for his protection plus that will give you more control when you want him to come to you. They make retractable leashes for dogs [I have one]
that would be nice when at the beach so he has some freedom but you can still get him to come to you when you want him to. And treats work wonders in training just like with all animals.
Please keep us updated and let us know how things are going did you listen to the video about the females and their voices soon you should now for sure if Frankie is drake or female. Frankie looks large in your pictures but it is really hard at their age to know for sure sex. But it will begin to show more and more.

I would agree with Canadian Wind - two ducks aren't that much different than one duck, really, and itd take the weight off you from having to worry about spending enough time with him. Female muscovies are only 6-8 lbs so they're not huge like the males are, and therefore easier to care for.
Yah I get that, I just can't imagine double the amount of poop to deal with and having two ducks it is much harder to take them both on a motorbike and I am sure it will lead to having favourites.

It wouldn't be the end of world if it came down to it and I am wondering if getting another duckling would be adequate or finding one at a similar age would be better.

I would like to build some sort of shelter/bedding for him. At the moment he just always been sleeping by the pool. He hangsout by the pool for most of the day which makes his poop just hoseable off.

With times he likes to come up to the actual house and he will hangout by my desk or on my porch.

But we also got to keep in mind he is living in a very domestic type of living situation. He has never learned to forge, I tried showing him bugs or tadpoles but he doesn't even notice lol.

In terms of sounds he makes more of a hissing and wheezing type sound so that leans me to thinking more so a male.

If get another duck it would be good to make sure it is for sure a female as two males wouldn't be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom