Aaron2420

Hatching
Dec 31, 2023
I have about a 1 year old pekin. He hasn’t had any issues until the last week when he started dragging his feet. He’s fine with walking some but will just need to sit down and rest. I occasionally will find him walking fine but it looks like he’s dragging his feet when he walks. No swelling or popping of joints. He’s always been a healthy active duck so I don’t have any ideas?

I have about a 1 year old pekin. He hasn’t had any issues until the last week when he started dragging his feet. He’s fine with walking some but will just need to sit down and rest. I occasionally will find him walking fine but it looks like he’s dragging his feet when he walks. No swelling or popping of joints. He’s always been a healthy active duck so I don’t have any ideas?
Have you ever given your Drake any niacin when he was growing up? Pekin is notorious for having niaicn deficiency even as adults. My rec would be to get him Liquid B Complex and start him on it put it over a small amount of treat so he gets a full dose. lml a day until you see full recovery then a week after that. Then I would switch to Nutritional yeast most of us keep our flocks on that all their lives. TSC usually carries the Durvet Liquid B Complex.

We have given him Niacin in the past. He had it in his food as he grew up, but once he got fully grown we put less and less until he had gotten full size.

We have given him Niacin in the past. He had it in his food as he grew up, but once he got fully grown we put less and less until he had gotten full size.
Of course up to you but I would at least try the Liquid B Complex and see if it helps. If it isn't an injury it could definitely be a niacin issue.

Ok thank yall
Please be sure to post back and let us know how he is doing. In the meantime, while treating him I'd keep him where he isn't overdoing so he doesn't injure himself ,and if the weather is good water therapy is excellent for helping to get the muscles in the legs strengthened. Make sure he can get in and out of any water source safely. Sometimes my ducks will jump off the side of the pool and end up limping so now I put an x pen around all but one place so they only have one entrance in and out no more jumping off the sides

:welcome

Please be sure to post back and let us know how he is doing. In the meantime, while treating him I'd keep him where he isn't overdoing so he doesn't injure himself ,and if the weather is good water therapy is excellent for helping to get the muscles in the legs strengthened. Make sure he can get in and out of any water source safely. Sometimes my ducks will jump off the side of the pool and end up limping so now I put an x pen around all but one place so they only have one entrance in and out no more jumping off the sides

:welcome
Ok well now he’s doing just fine. He ended up getting some niacin water and some extra food and now he’s walking around with all the other ducks!

Back
Top Bottom