Do small injuries in duck webbing heal properly?

JerryTheDuck

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
This has been a long standing question in my mind, if there is a small tear in the webbing of the feet (only a mm in length in the center of the web) will it fill in? I have had 4 ducks in total and only 1 of the first, Jerry, has survived all attacks from foxes/coyotes. The thing that lingers in my mind is Jerry had a very small notch in his webbing on the right foot, i dont really pay attention to it much but after the attack around 6 months later I realize there is no notch. If the approx 1mm right angle notch is unable to heal then I have been misidentifying bobby as jerry. The main thing that casts doubt is bobby NEVER let me touch him or get very close because the 2nd round of raising ducks in my room ended up being way worse. The first pair of ducks were amazing and they were super social, and this lone duck was not very social but I could pick him up, and as of now he is displaying the same behavior jerry used to when I introduced the 2 new ducks. This behavior is really just him following you intently and biting/pinching you. I believe this is happening because his best friend (our turkey) was killed for meat this past saturday. I kept him inside for a few days but today he was very social with the geese and wild ducks and when it was getting dark he ran up to me for the first time in over 6 months and started biting me. I hope this is still jerry as he has been a great companion and he wouldve deserved the recognition his sister got when she was killed. If this is bobby I will be taking a 3 week vacation this week to raise 2 more pekins with all the love and attention they deserve. All help is appreciated

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I had ducks who got holes in their webbing when they were young, and still had the same holes months later.
Also, the running up to you and biting sounds like either dominance behavior or misplaced mating attempts.

Back
Top Bottom