Duck head Bobbing?

Peckins32

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2021
Hello all, I wanted to ask a quick question. I have 2, 3.5 month old Peckins who are still imprinted on me. We recently built them a nice duck house and moved them outside (they were only coming in at night to sleep in my bathtub). This was done while I was out of town for 3 days. When I came back I called them through the window and they started excitedly quacking. I ran down to let them out and one duck (I believe they’re both females) started doing this head bob. But it’s strange and I can’t find videos like it. I don’t know if it’s a happy bob or an aggressive/warning bob. It’s like she pulls her neck in, where her bill is laying on her chest and she bobs it up and down. I tried to attach a video but I guess that’s some thing I can’t do.
Thank you!

Hello all, I wanted to ask a quick question. I have 2, 3.5 month old Peckins who are still imprinted on me. We recently built them a nice duck house and moved them outside (they were only coming in at night to sleep in my bathtub). This was done while I was out of town for 3 days. When I came back I called them through the window and they started excitedly quacking. I ran down to let them out and one duck (I believe they’re both females) started doing this head bob. But it’s strange and I can’t find videos like it. I don’t know if it’s a happy bob or an aggressive/warning bob. It’s like she pulls her neck in, where her bill is laying on her chest and she bobs it up and down. I tried to attach a video but I guess that’s some thing I can’t do.
Thank you!
That means they’re flirting will each other or just happy and excited

Welcome to BYC!

This is totally normal for ducks to do, and is a sign that they are very happy. They often to it to each other or their owners as a way of flirting.
I've also noticed they use it as a form if communication between each other, usually to let their mate know they are about to fly somewhere else (this was with my wild Mallards).

Welcome to BYC!

This is totally normal for ducks to do, and is a sign that they are very happy. They often to it to each other or their owners as a way of flirting.
I've also noticed they use it as a form if communication between each other, usually to let their mate know they are about to fly somewhere else (this was with my wild Mallards).
Thank you for the welcome! Very interesting! I’ve never even heard of a duck bobbing it’s head until she started doing it recently. I hope it is excitement/happiness! I was worried she was mad at me for leaving 😆

Back
Top Bottom