Duck help! My ducks are sick? Daily trips to the river/creek ??

DuckyChan

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Hi, I'm new here, and new to raising water fowl! I have just two ducks, but they have grown on me fast! I love them both, and I take them with me to the creek/river located through the woods on a daily basis, weather permitting.
I have noticed runny noses, and foul-smelling poo(trust me, I know it's poo, but this is a different odor entirely).
could they be sick from the wild crawfish they have been catching at the creek?? They have had no medicines or anything since birth, and they are almost three months old now.
I am struggling financially right now, but I will find a way to get them feeling better! Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_130905.jpg
    IMG_20220517_130905.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2022-07-03-19-20-53-171.jpg
    2022-07-03-19-20-53-171.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I have been keeping a close watch on the duckies, noting any changes in behavior or poo or eating habits, and now that we're nearly through the day I must admit I haven't seen the slightest change in any of the above except their poo was very watery all day long..
Dunkin still giving me long, cock-eyed stares as if he/she is trying to figure me out and just can't quite get what I'm doing here, but "WHERE'S THE FOOD WHERES THE FOOOD?" and Snooze is ALWAYS happy to hop into the large baby pool and it's "bird bath, bird bath, bird bath, bird bath!"
😄😄😄
Both seem eager to scarf down any tomatoes, grapes, or watermelon I offer, and have been eating their duck pellets like normal, too.
Maybe I had a case of Duck Mama Worries and they just needed to clear their nostrils out? I put them to sleep in their "brooder" at night without food/water and they are usually fine, but I did sneak a few grape tomatoes to them without any "bubble water" to wash them down while they waddled in their line behind me toward their "bed".
Could that be it?
Also - THANK YOU to EVERYONE who has been so kind in welcoming me, and especially to those who reached out to help!!! Y'all have been awesome!
💜😁

I would stop taking them to the creek. Their is a lot of diseases they could pick up from the wildlife. Avian influenza is one, botulism is another, and a slew of other things. Ducks can be just happy swimming in small tubs. A lot of us use cement mixing tubs or things similar to that.

Take a picture of it's poop, so we can see what it looks like. Their poop does change a lot depending on what the ducks eat.

If you haven't, I would provide the ducklings some grit on the side to make sure they properly digest everything they have eaten.

Back
Top Bottom