I have a sick Rhode Island red hen.

Stephyjok

Hatching
Jan 21, 2024
Hi new to this site but have read many suggestions from here. This is my second Rhode Island Red hen that is sick. The first one passed a week ago. The 2nd one has similar symptoms. They both stopped laying a year and a half ago. They would be 3 in may. I think both laid a lash egg or two a year and half ago. Both have been fine and eating well until this winter. Main symptoms are lethargic not eating much hunchback. I isolated them at separate times. They got worse/ getting worse with comb turning dark reddish purple runny poop, quite a bit of white in it. And just today she had foam in month. No nose drainage. Just some in month and won’t eat?? Idk what to do originally I gave rooster booster mixed with food and water to hopefully help but she stopped eating and drinking. I hope she isn’t suffering. If anyone has suggestions that I can do at home please let me know. The other red hen die in about a week after having same symptoms. We have her out of the bitter cold with plenty of food and water available. Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Hi new to this site but have read many suggestions from here. This is my second Rhode Island Red hen that is sick. The first one passed a week ago. The 2nd one has similar symptoms. They both stopped laying a year and a half ago. They would be 3 in may. I think both laid a lash egg or two a year and half ago. Both have been fine and eating well until this winter. Main symptoms are lethargic not eating much hunchback. I isolated them at separate times. They got worse/ getting worse with comb turning dark reddish purple runny poop, quite a bit of white in it. And just today she had foam in month. No nose drainage. Just some in month and won’t eat?? Idk what to do originally I gave rooster booster mixed with food and water to hopefully help but she stopped eating and drinking. I hope she isn’t suffering. If anyone has suggestions that I can do at home please let me know. The other red hen die in about a week after having same symptoms. We have her out of the bitter cold with plenty of food and water available. Thanks in advance to any suggestions.
Not sure what to tell you, sorry I can't help😓 good luck!

I think both laid a lash egg or two a year and half ago.

Main symptoms are lethargic not eating much hunchback.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and now another sick hen.

Please post photos of your hen and her poop.

Salpingitis (Lash Egg) is a chronic inflammation of the oviduct for which there is no cure.

If caught early, an antibiotic like Amoxicillin can be given as part of supportive care to make the hen more comfortable.
Work on hydration and see if she will eat for you.

If your hen is suffering, then consider putting her out of her misery, then send the body to your state lab to find out what caused her decline - they will give you a report and confirm whether or not she had Salpingitis.
If you are up to you, you can do your own necropsy and take a look at the organs and reproductive system. Salpingitis is usually quite obvious upon examining the internals.

Back
Top Bottom