Not sure what’s going on with my hen (feathers)

tkpopeye

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
Hello all…
Recently, l have noticed one of my Rhode Island Reds missing feathers. She will be 2 yrs old in April.
Two years ago, l started raising my layers, starting off with 10 hens; 4 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Brown Longhorns and 3 Black Sexlinks. I had added 4 more young Rhode Island Reds to the flock.
Last years, mostly 2 of my Brown Longhorns lost the majority of their feathers (molt?).
I don’t know if this RR Red is going through it too now or if she’s sick or if she’s being attacked.
Any advice??
F95A5BD9-5842-47A5-A743-3139FBBDCCDA.jpeg

Attachments

• D32A3E6A-B564-4EAB-8493-1D40001E9784.jpeg
    D32A3E6A-B564-4EAB-8493-1D40001E9784.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 7
She is molting, which a natural thing that happens every year. Every bird species molts and they do it mostly when it starts to become cold, which can become a problem because they will actually be colder and weaker until they grow their feathers back. They molt so they can grow back in stronger, thicker and fluffier feathers in order to keep the cold out of their body. When chickens molt, they can become susceptible to feather-picking and general bullying behavior from others more than usual.

Give her some protein to help with feather growth during the molt. Ham, sausage (non spicy), boiled egg are all good choices.

Back
Top Bottom