My hen is sick, I don't know what to do

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
I have this hen who just began being lethargic. We recently lost a hen about two or so weeks ago to the same symptoms. I thought the one we lost was due to old age but now I'm not so sure. I've tried to get this one to eat but it won't. I even fried up an egg and put elderberry powder in it but if she won't eat I can't help her. What so ya'll think this is and what can I do?

Attachments

• 20240324_132716.jpg
    20240324_132716.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 37
Check your coop carefully for mites as they can suck the life out of a chicken within a short time.
They mostly come out at night to feed on the chickens, so get a flashlight or head lamp and swipe your finger along the underside of the roosts. If it gets red there will lots of blood filled mites to fight against.
You can also use double-sided adhesive tape along the entire underside or the roosts so the mites will get stuck on their way to the chicken feet.

ETA:
When did you last deworm her and when did she last lay an egg?

Inspect her butt: is it dirty?

How does her lower abdomen feel, is is swollen? Hard or rather like a water filled balloon?

Last edited:
Check your coop carefully for mites as they can suck the life out of a chicken within a short time.
They mostly come out at night to feed on the chickens, so get a flashlight or head lamp and swipe your finger along the underside of the roosts. If it gets red there will lots of blood filled mites to fight against.
You can also use double-sided adhesive tape along the entire underside or the roosts so the mites will get stuck on their way to the chicken feet.

ETA:
When did you last deworm her and when did she last lay an egg?

Inspect her butt: is it dirty?

How does her lower abdomen feel, is is swollen? Hard or rather like a water filled balloon?
I haven't dewormed her or any of our chickens. I do give them a powder in their water that has extra vitamins/electrolytes. I'm not 100% sure when she last laid an egg because we have a lot of chickens. However, she was completely normal one day and lethargic the next. This is what happened to the other hen I had. All the other chickens seem ok. I tried feeling her lower abdomen thinking she might be egg bound but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I'll try again today.

How old were these hens?

I am sorry you lost them.
The first one that we lost a few weeks ago was probably 4 ish and the one that passed this morning I'd say is close to 3. I did check for mites on the roosting poles like you said but didn't find anything. Is there something I can buy for deworming?

The first one that we lost a few weeks ago was probably 4 ish and the one that passed this morning I'd say is close to 3. I did check for mites on the roosting poles like you said but didn't find anything. Is there something I can buy for deworming?
Sadly, that would be the age these high performance hybrids usually succumb to the common disorders of their reproductive systems.

Depending on where you are located in this world you could choose from several dewormers like Flubendazole (Fishzole in the U.S.) Fenbendazole (SafeGuard), Valbazen, Piperazine (Wazine), Ivermectine and others.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

If you are in the U.S. you can find them at your local feed store, Tractor Supply or purchase online.

Last edited:
I appreciate you responding. So if all my chickens start dying because most are close to the same age, we just have a few youngsters, I can assume it's their age or how do I know I may be dealing with something else?

I appreciate you responding. So if all my chickens start dying because most are close to the same age, we just have a few youngsters, I can assume it's their age or how do I know I may be dealing with something else?
You could send the recently deceased bird in to your state vet lab for necropsy. Some states offer this service free of costs, others may charge a small sum.

Call them first for further instructions.

Back
Top Bottom