Rescue hen- ex battery

JaneBrook

Songster
5 Years
Oct 8, 2018
Isle of Sheppey
Rescued 5 Rhode Island Red hens back in the summer (live in UK) all except one is thriving- she is hunched, neck is retracted & eyes keep closing but is eating/drinking…
Should I bring her inside?
It’s not really cold here but it’s chilly…
Thank you in advance for any suggestions 😘

How is she standing? May she be having egg-related issues? A photo might help. How old is she?
If you want you can bring her inside to monitor, but I tend to avoid doing so unless they are quite sick. I find that it causes more re-integration issues than it is worth.

How is she standing? May she be having egg-related issues? A photo might help. How old is she?
If you want you can bring her inside to monitor, but I tend to avoid doing so unless they are quite sick. I find that it causes more re-integration issues than it is worth.
Thank you BantyChooks,
she’s (roughly) 3yrs old & I will try to get a photo - I’ve been watching her most of the day & for a while you would think she’s fine then you see her on her own either her neck retracted & falling asleep an hour later she’s with the flock pecking around…
I’ll take your advice about not bringing her in as it’s sunny & 55f here- plus that’s a good point about re-integration👍🏻
I rescued 5 hens & get 4 eggs every morning, so it’s possible she is having egg related issues…

PS it seems you know a lot about chickens & I would like to know if giving them yogurt occasionally is good or not?

Thank you BantyChooks,
she’s (roughly) 3yrs old & I will try to get a photo - I’ve been watching her most of the day & for a while you would think she’s fine then you see her on her own either her neck retracted & falling asleep an hour later she’s with the flock pecking around…
I’ll take your advice about not bringing her in as it’s sunny & 55f here- plus that’s a good point about re-integration👍🏻
I rescued 5 hens & get 4 eggs every morning, so it’s possible she is having egg related issues…

PS it seems you know a lot about chickens & I would like to know if giving them yogurt occasionally is good or not

Attachments

• 1706455739817.png
    1706455739817.png
    495 KB · Views: 6
Thank you BantyChooks,

PS it seems you know a lot about chickens & I would like to know if giving them yogurt occasionally is good or not?
If she has a "penguin-like" stance it's a good sign that it's an egg-related issue. Is her comb pale? How does her abdominal area feel?

I agree with @MarlaMac . As an occasional treat, yogurt is okay but excessive dairy causes GI issues. I don't feed it to my flock more than once a month at most.

Check her crop very early before eating or drinking in the morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight. If it is full in the morning, firm, doughy, or puffy, she might be suffering some crop disorder. Those can happen if there is an underlying reproductive disorder that increases the pressure inside the abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom