Duck help please!

stinkieducks14

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
Hi,
I am new to having ducks so I have read the basics but need some help with some stuff, and i am pretty sure there's some girls in the group
I have 5 Indian runner duck they are 5 weeks old and are living in our bath where it's easy to clean and they can't get out. I need help with bedding I have read that you can just lay the coot with straw/hay or not to use hay but straw and just lock them in for the night. Is this true?
Where do they lay? Will they just lay where ever or do I need to line a nesting box with straw/hay for them or will they lay where they slept.

And one more question.
They will be living in a area with a pond and some small and medium size rocks will I need to remove them before the move into this area so it dos'nt hurt there feet?

Some people use hay, many find straw or wood shavings work better.

Ducks generally don't use nest boxes, but some do.

A really big thing with their shelter is being safe from predators. They need to be protected from the many things, large and small, that will want to kill them.

Do you have a photo of the area around the pond so we can have a better idea about it?

I've always found that pine shavings can cause splinters on ducklings' tender feet and thus make them prone to infection. When they're older it's alright to use pine shavings, and probably more preferred since ducks are smelly and the pine masks out the smell.

As to the nest question, ducks will make their own ground nest using the bedding you provide so don't worry too much about that.

They are fairly easy to raise, more so I think than chickens are.

Back
Top Bottom