Duck help

goats rule 101

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Minnesota
Okay so I got two ducklings from tsc and when they grew up one flew away. The other duck would not fly away so I found three male rouens that were around the same age to keep him company. Now they all are completely mature and are constantly fighting. The biggest rouen and the mallard always team up on the other two and sometimes keep them from eating. So I put out two food dishes and that stopped. Now whenever they go swimming they try to drown eachother and fight for the pool. I can't get another pool and am unsure what to do. Please help.

The mallard also will just peck at the other two and keep them away from the biggest rouen. They are all the same age and are all for sure males. They normally only fight in the water but sometimes the mallard will pick fights with the smaller two randomly when hes bored. Is there anything I can do to keep them from fightinga?:/

Last edited:
Okay so I got two ducklings from tsc and when they grew up one flew away. The other duck would not fly away so I found three male rouens that were around the same age to keep him company. Now they all are completely mature and are constantly fighting. The biggest rouen and the mallard always team up on the other two and sometimes keep them from eating. So I put out two food dishes and that stopped. Now whenever they go swimming they try to drown eachother and fight for the pool. I can't get another pool and am unsure what to do. Please help.

The mallard also will just peck at the other two and keep them away from the biggest rouen. They are all the same age and are all for sure males. They normally only fight in the water but sometimes the mallard will pick fights with the smaller two randomly when hes bored. Is there anything I can do to keep them from fightinga?
hmm.png
They are like unruly boys on the play ground as side from time out about all you can do is rehome the trouble makers or separate into separate living areas, but fall is approaching and hormones will wane till next spring when it will all start over. are they fighting and hurting each other? or just being a bully to the others?

They aren't hurting eachother just being bullies. I have never seen feathers plucked or anything but the two that are picked on are scared of the mallard.

They aren't hurting eachother just being bullies. I have never seen feathers plucked or anything but the two that are picked on are scared of the mallard.
Of course they are, I'd make a way for them to have some peace if only to be able to get completely away from the bullies for a while. Are they in a run or do the free range. Another thing that may happen is the mallard my fly off when migration starts. You just never know with mallards even the domestic ones. But then again if he didn't leave when the other one did he probably won't.

Not really there is some bullying just a few pecks at eachother when I let them out. But most of it occurs when they are eating and swimming in my yard. I don't like it because when its really hot they want to swim but are too scared to and just decide to watch the bullies swim.

Not really there is some bullying just a few pecks at eachother when I let them out. But most of it occurs when they are eating and swimming in my yard. I don't like it because when its really hot they want to swim but are too scared to and just decide to watch the bullies swim.
Can you get them a cement mixing tub? I understand Lowes has the cheaper than TSC. at least they would have some water to play in. I have 2 pools one small kiddy pool for my old ducks in separate part of yard and large one for the rest. and then in cold months I use the cement mixing tub so they can get a quick bath from time to time.

Maybe I can ill look and see and if I can't would anything that they can pretty much just swim in work? Because I can probably find something.

Maybe I can ill look and see and if I can't would anything that they can pretty much just swim in work? Because I can probably find something.
Of course I even have old wash tubs that I have used, just have to give them a way in and out. I also have a plastic under the bed tote that I have used for my ducks and ducklings. As long as they can get in and play they will be happy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom