Duck hock joint inverted/ bends the wrong way

Yappers3

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
These are the things I’m using.... He is a Pekin duck and one hock joint is not bending right. He is able to bend it the correct way to sit down but when He tries to stand it’s almost like it over extends and tries to bend the opposite way. I think it may hurt him to stand on it so he primarily stands on the other leg to compensate. I will take a video of it to send tomorrow since it is late tonight. Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I just wanna try to help him the best I can.

Isaac 0

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
These are the things I’m using.... He is a Pekin duck and one hock joint is not bending right. He is able to bend it the correct way to sit down but when He tries to stand it’s almost like it over extends and tries to bend the opposite way. I think it may hurt him to stand on it so he primarily stands on the other leg to compensate. I will take a video of it to send tomorrow since it is late tonight. Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I just wanna try to help him the best I can.
Thanks for the pictures,

The Vitamin B you have, and the chick feed are quite low in niacin. If I were you, I would suggest on going to TSC, or your local feed store, and picking up some feed for either all poultry like Purina Flock Raiser, or a waterfowl feed such as Mazuri. These feeds are better formulated for waterfowl than the one you have now.

While your there, I'd also suggest on getting some vitamin B cattle complex. These products are intended for cattle, but we use them in waterfowl because they have high niacin percentages, around 100mg per ml. For the duck, you can give 1ml over treats, or dose him orally with a syringe or eye dropper.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex

I'm interested in seeing the video. Sometimes I can miss that you responded, so when you have the pictures include an @, then my username in my post so I don't accidentally miss them.

Top Bottom