Duck house designs

We house our ducks and guineas together. The coop/run are secure from predators so there is no door on coop so they have access to run day and night. We have chicken wire underground 2 1/2 feet down and curled out so predators can't dig under.
28423_guineas_and_ducks_up_to_10-3-2008_059.jpg

On the inside we had a nesting box, but the girls don't use it. They prefer digging their own nests, usually in the corners of coop. The guineas like to use one of their nests also and we often find duck and guinea eggs in the same nest.

Quote:
I think because ducks don't need the roost or really much shelter. Mine were out in a huge storm last night. They love ANY kind of water and the more rain the better. I'm not to this point yet, but I have heard they will drop eggs wherever they are, walking across the yard, sitting in water. I suppose it's also your level of building ability!

Quote:
When I had ducks before I didn't find this to be true at all. They did not like hard rain or wind at all. The would run to their house if the weather was not to their liking. They really loved a nice, constant drizzly... just enough to bring all the worms to the surface
lol.png

I never noticed them dropping eggs all over the place. We only had one female but she would try to nest in the woods and we would have to find her and herd her into the house at night. She made herself a lovely little nest in there and we always knew where to find her eggs.
smile.png

I hope mine will nest. I know that each duck definitely has its own personality. I really couldn't believe they were out in the hard rain and lightning last night!

Quote:
Mine love the rain. Even when there's a ton of lightening, I have to literally dump their pond over to get them out of it and shoo them into their pen.

And, when cleaning their pond, I have found eggs at the bottom of it.
roll.png
Usually, they lay inside overnight, but if it doesn't come out until their playtime, they can't be bothered to interrupt their watery fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the pictures and idea but for some reason I'm stuck on what to do with the inside. Do you just put pine shavings or do they need roosts or just nest boxes? Looking to get ducks ASAP and don't have a clue. We have a rectangular box (about 2' X 4') , made out of plywood, that the dogs used for a long time and that's what we're going to convert. The top opens up, so it'll be easy to check for eggs. I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 hens. Any help is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom