Duck house floor

SheilaCondit

Chirping
Aug 11, 2017
Eugene, Oregon
i am converting an awesome plastic "step 2" playhouse that is 5' x 5' for my 2 peking ducks for a nightime coop.
Would a layer of straw over 6" of sand on a earth floor be ok? I live in the rainy part of oregon. Never had ducks before so not sure of the best way to floor a duck house. Your suggestions will help tremendously, Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3134.JPG
    IMG_3134.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 53
I did the same with a play house. I raised it off the ground with cinder blocks and a pallet so the wood won't rot being on the ground, it gives the added benefit of a shady spot that they like to hang out underneath. Then added a plywood floor and dollar store stick on vinyl tiles. The tiles make it much easier to clean out, no moisture or odor in trapped in the floor. straw or pine bedding on top

Attachments

• duck house.jpg
    duck house.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 30
Thank you everyone, I have incorporated your ideas.
I used concrete blocks for a foundation, screwed a sheet of plywood onto the bottom of the playhouse, and put a sheet of vinyl flooring inside with compressed straw on top - Now I am considering making a wooden base about 18" high as a "first floor" because I discovered 3 fat grey squirrels cleaned out the feed bowl. The playhouse is to small for the water and feed and the way the ducks splash around.

Back
Top Bottom