StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I am planning on building a duck house myself in the near future. Thinking of getting around 6 Muscovies, so it'll be about 4'x6'. What are your duck coop must have features? Any other tips on housing Muscovies? Thanks!

Mine like to roost so you might want to put a roost up for them I used a 2X4 laid flat so they have plenty of room for their feet. Having a human door and a pop door is nice too so you can stand up to clean. 4X6 might be tight for 6 Muscovy.

Mine like to roost so you might want to put a roost up for them I used a 2X4 laid flat so they have plenty of room for their feet. Having a human door and a pop door is nice too so you can stand up to clean. 4X6 might be tight for 6 Muscovy.
Thank you! I wondered if 4x6 was going to be too small and will consider making it larger. I did plan to have 2x4 roosts. Can they be 1-2 feet off the ground? I plan to clip my Muscovies' wings so they can't fly over the fence.

2' should be fine. Mine actually roost with the chickens their roost are 3' [not the drake] he prefers the shavings. I clip mines wing every fall after they have their big molt and grow in their new flight feathers. Go as big as you can because Duck math is as contagious as chicken math.

Go as big as you possibly can! I just doubled the size of my coop and wished I had it that big from the start. It's nice to have space for you to get in there, storage or shavings, etc. and plenty of room in case you add more ducks or need to separate some ever.

I know the convenience of having more space - I have a large 10x12 barn for my 8 chickens - but I think I can get away with a smaller house for the ducks (trying to attach it to an existing structure). I have all my poultry supplies and emergency isolation crate in one room in my walk-out basement. I was thinking a 5-foot-high slightly raised coop for the ducks with large doors for cleaning/access. Also considering a secure wire area that they can sleep in in the summertime along with a large electric netting run. Do they need more headroom in the coop?

I'm not that worried about duck math. I am a reasonable person and have reduced my chicken flock since I started raising them 14 years ago. :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom