Duck House Questions. HELP me brainstorm. PLEASE

srose0116

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Hey everyone! I am once again asking for your help.

Our flock of six is now down to two. We have a female pekin named Honey, and a male khaki named Baby. They were the most mild tempered of our original flock and neither one of them is really a leader. They have no interest in their old pond, only the horse trough "pool" we've made for them. They are still sleeping inside at night as we need to make them a new predator proof home. I recently moved, and the ducks are living at my mom's house. We both have houses with walk in basements and land. She lives out in the country, with large fields surrounding the house, and a large wooded area way up behind the property. We've seen foxes and large birds, heard coyotes, and of course we know there are fishers in the area. My house is more in a wooded area, partway up a "mountain", we like to say. I'm in a more rural area, so the neighbors are a lot closer. But I still have a wooded area behind my house, and surrounding my neighborhood. The woods are a lot closer to my house here, than at my moms. But of course there are woods at both properties. The only predators I have seen here so far are foxes. And the house up the road who have 50-70 chickens say they have never had any issues with predators. And from what I can see, their coop doesn't look super safe. In addition, there was a bear spotted here about twenty years ago. SO it's a possibility.

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed as we can not make up our minds of where the ducks should spend the winter. This spring I will be adding a Carolina Coop to my property for my ducks and chickens. I have no doubts that it is going to be completely predator proof day and night. Though I won't have this coop until late March. So we have an entire New York winter to get through. First off, we know we need more birds. I am going to be ordering four female ducklings from Metzer farms probably in mid October. That way they are full grown and ready to mate by late February so our male Baby will have lots of ladies to mate with. I will likely keep the babies in my basement. I won't be ready to put them out entirely on their own until the weather starts to warm up at least into the 30s.

Baby and Honey is the big question mark right now. They are currently living in my mothers basement and go outside into a hen pen during the day. She closely monitors them, but it is not predator proof in the slightest. We don't know if we should build them temporary housing for the winter there, or here. Since there are only two of them I don't think moving them outside in the winter is wise. They won't be able to keep each other warm enough at night. But I also don't like the idea of them being out in a hen pen during the day. I want them safe during the day as well as at night.

I have an old shed here, and also a garage. I could convert either of these into a temporary winter duck house, but it would take A LOT of work. So I'm almost leaning towards just keeping them all in my walkout basement all winter. I just need to figure out a way to give them SAFE outside time in the winter. I've been researching non stop, and looking at different "chicken" runs.

I guess I'm not asking any specific question. Just asking for help brainstorming in general.

Another thing to note, I love my ducks dearly. I could never rehome them. And I plan on holding the babies every day to keep them super tame like Baby and Honey who will let us hold them. My ducks are a part of my family. I need them to be safe.

Attachments

• 7115B173-7621-4AAD-AD3F-990AF7B29F58_1_201_a.jpeg
    7115B173-7621-4AAD-AD3F-990AF7B29F58_1_201_a.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 98AC1DC6-3377-4AC3-BE42-87E2794F6DE7_1_201_a.jpeg
    98AC1DC6-3377-4AC3-BE42-87E2794F6DE7_1_201_a.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 6FC5ED6F-59A7-401E-82B8-01F67245FA6F.png
    6FC5ED6F-59A7-401E-82B8-01F67245FA6F.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
You can knock up a fairly secure run quite quickly and cheaply from some lengths of wood and hardware cloth. Make a wooden box at one end lined with straw for them to sleep in, and move it around the yard each week to give them fresh grass. Think like what you can buy for rabbits, but cheaper to make yourself.

If you are worried about nights, bring them indoors at night but they can be in the run during the day. It will later on be a good grow out coop and run for any babies you get.

Personally, I wouldn't buy ducklings in October. I would rehome some tame adult or juvenile ducks now from someone so there are more ducks to keep each other warm in winter and fix up the shed and build a bigger run. I made a new covered run recently and it only took a couple of days to make out of scrap wood and netting I already had.

You can knock up a fairly secure run quite quickly and cheaply from some lengths of wood and hardware cloth. Make a wooden box at one end lined with straw for them to sleep in, and move it around the yard each week to give them fresh grass. Think like what you can buy for rabbits, but cheaper to make yourself.

If you are worried about nights, bring them indoors at night but they can be in the run during the day. It will later on be a good grow out coop and run for any babies you get.

Personally, I wouldn't buy ducklings in October. I would rehome some tame adult or juvenile ducks now from someone so there are more ducks to keep each other warm in winter and fix up the shed and build a bigger run. I made a new covered run recently and it only took a couple of days to make out of scrap wood and netting I already had.
Thank you! My how would the the run work in the winter with the snow? I'm very worried about what to do when we get a snow storm and a foot of snow!

if you build it well and you put a tarp over it, it should be fine but you'll need to dig them out at one end after it snows to give them air!!

I initially thought of something like this but with one end enclosed rather than a separate dog kennel inside but both would work

20200903_205121.jpg

then I found this one which looked even better

20200903_205140.jpg

then this one

20200903_204617.jpg

but then found these apex ones which might be better for snow
20200903_205504.jpg

20200903_205522.jpg

I'm not suggesting you buy any of these because they are expensive and flimsy. You can build a much stronger more durable and safer one yourself with a bit of wood, hardware cloth and minimal tools or skills. Heck if I could do it, anyone could!

Predator wise you probably need to make the floor out of hardware cloth too and put bricks around the edges to deter diggers rather than leave it with an open floor, or give it a skirt instead. But ducks feet don't like walking on wire so maybe the skirt or bricks/papers around the outside though that limits its moveability.

Also forgot to say, you can scale it up depending on what size you want, obviously bigger is better esp if you get more ducks

I initially thought of something like this but with one end enclosed rather than a separate dog kennel inside but both would work

View attachment 2318892

then I found this one which looked even better

View attachment 2318893
then this one

View attachment 2318897

but then found these apex ones which might be better for snow
View attachment 2318901
View attachment 2318902

I'm not suggesting you buy any of these because they are expensive and flimsy. You can build a much stronger more durable and safer one yourself with a bit of wood, hardware cloth and minimal tools or skills. Heck if I could do it, anyone could!

Predator wise you probably need to make the floor out of hardware cloth too and put bricks around the edges to deter diggers rather than leave it with an open floor, or give it a skirt instead. But ducks feet don't like walking on wire so maybe the skirt or bricks/papers around the outside though that limits its moveability.
Thank you so much! You think this would work during the day and then bring them in the basement at night?

np. I think you could do either. Ducks are pretty resilient to cold. They live in the wild and have down quilts on them, and just need shelter and a dry cosy place to sleep, ideally with others to snuggle with. Domestic ducks are often far more pampered than they need to be. Their wild cousins are sleeping on river banks, in bulrushes, up trees, in fields etc and they don't die of cold. (Some do migrate however!)

I would lock them up in the coop at night myself. But you have crazy predators there which we don't have in the UK, so you may feel safer bringing them in at night for that reason. Personally i think the duck poop stink inside the house isn't desirable!

Do what makes you feel comfortable. The ducks are likely to be fine either way.

Back
Top Bottom