Duck house / run

Jul 3, 2020
Hi everyone- I just posted this on the chicken post ... and it’s way recommended that I ask this thread as well!
So I am getting five little ducklings next month- first time ever!!

I am having a duck coup/ house built - and it will have solid roof with shingles over the coup and run ... coup 8x6, and run 8x 16- with an additional run with only hardware cloth on top ... then someone told me not to do any part without a hard roof... what do you all think ??

Some sun will sneak in from the sides.

My run is big so sun does not reach all areas but does shine in through the sides. I do like having the pouring rain blocked and not shoveling snow.

I like having the sun hit the run for drying and well.....deoderizing.

My birds often seek the sunny spots.

No harm in having a section that stays sunny.

Last edited:
X

ok! Thank you... but don’t they need some full sun?
Boy thank you sooo much !
Next question... I’m a bit obsessed and fearful about the predator issue... so... I am doing the hardware wire -down and the apron and then adding 24x24 concrete slabs on top of the apron... that should keep anything out right ? Hardware wire for pen is 1/2 x1/2 PVC coated welded wire .
And the run will be 8x 18, house 8x 6 for 5 ducks ... does that sound like enough ??

Some sun will sneak in from the sides.

My run is big so sun does not reach all areas but does shine in through the sides. I do like having the pouring rain blocked and not shoveling snow.

I like having the sun hit the run for drying and well.....deoderizing.

My birds often seek the he sunny spots.

No harm in having a section that stays sunny.
Thank you all!! I really appreciate the words of wisdom!!

My set up for ducks is new.....but I have kept chickens for a long time.

My duck house is 5x8 for 7 birds and their run space.....it is evolving as I downsize my chicken population. It will eventually be 16x23 minus a tiny bit where their house sticks into it.

My duck house is 5x8 for 7 birds and their run space.....it is evolving as I downsize my chicken population. It will eventually be 16x23 minus a tiny bit where their house sticks into it.
Wow- that is huge !!!! I hope my will be good to start !!
Maybe I’ll add another 64 sq feet! Sounds like yours is nice and big!!!
Sounds lovely !!
Next question... I’m a bit obsessed and fearful about the predator issue... so... I am doing the hardware wire -down and the apron and then adding 24x24 concrete slabs on top of the apron... that should keep anything out right ? Hardware wire for pen is 1/2 x1/2 PVC coated welded wire .
And the run will be 8x 18, house 8x 6 for 5 ducks ... does that sound like enough ??
Next question... I’m a bit obsessed and fearful about the predator issue... so... I am doing the hardware wire -down and the apron and then adding 24x24 concrete slabs on top of the apron... that should keep anything out right ? Hardware wire for pen

is 1/2 x1/2 PVC coated welded wire .

We keep six large breed ducks at the moment, and our duckhouse is 4'x8' with an attached 12'x8' run. The duckhouse is elevated, so we in essence gave a 16'x8' run, but we have the area under the dudkhouse set-up so that it can be closed off in case we need to keep a bird separate from the rest of the flock. Our entire run is covered with a shingle roof, and I would not want it any other way. In the winter, we put 6mm plastic over three sides (leaving the southeast side open). We use a 2' predator apron around the run, and it has worked great.

Back
Top Bottom