Duck house ventilation-pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tiggrsbounc, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Hi all,
    So we started on the duck house today...it's not finished but I'm wondering if it has enough ventilation or too much? The open areas at the top are going to have chicken wire put over them. Do you think we need to add a few "windows" lower down that can be closed and opened as needed-they would be covered with wire as well. Probably cut out square areas and put hinges and latches on them.

The pic only shows one side of the house but the open area is open on every side. It's 4 x 6 ft and is approx. 6 ft tall.

house.jpg

Thanks!

Julie

2. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I have something similar in my duck house and it has been fine. I am not sure where you are located but I pack my vents with hay in the winter to let the moisture out but keep the heat in. I do not have water in my house though.

3. Tiggrsbounc

Tiggrsbounc Songster

Jun 28, 2013
    Eastern NC
    I'm in NC. Winters aren't usually too bad. That's an interesting idea with the hay-not something I would have thought of. I won't have water in my duck house either-their water will be out in the pen area. Thank you!

cheezenkwackers likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chicken wire will not keep predators out. For that, you need hardware cloth. Make sure you have enough overhang on your roof to keep rain out.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: