Duck house

It is an interesting idea to have a four season moveable duck run. That would only work here between the time the snow flies and the ground thaws (4 - 5 months) I'm trying to envision something on skis that could be moved with a snowmobile but don't see it being worth the effort.
I tried vinyl floor on the coop floor and part way up the walls. My ducks had a fine time tearing it off. I ended up having to take it all off because I was afraid them might choke on a piece.
Can't wait to see what you design.

It is an interesting idea to have a four season moveable duck run. That would only work here between the time the snow flies and the ground thaws (4 - 5 months) I'm trying to envision something on skis that could be moved with a snowmobile but don't see it being worth the effort.
I tried vinyl floor on the coop floor and part way up the walls. My ducks had a fine time tearing it off. I ended up having to take it all off because I was afraid them might choke on a piece.
Can't wait to see what you design.
What did you end up using for flooring?

I don't know for sure. In my case, anywhere they could find a seam or edge they just started pulling on it. This included seams under the shavings bedding. Perhaps they discovered how much fun it was by starting on the sections I had put on the walls. Originally I replaced the linoleum on the walls with heavy feed bags. They seemed to think this was a challenge they were up for.

I’m planning on getting a couple of ducks. I’m wondering if anybody has attempted to make a light weight portable duck house/ run that can with-stand all 4 seasons and below negative temps in winter.
Check out Four Season Harvest by Elliot Coleman. After reading this gardening book several years ago, I became thoroughly convinced that every gardener should have ducks (and I felt I very well might die if I didn’t get me some). All that to say, he has descriptions and sketches of his portable duck tractor, and it sounds like what you have in mind. Best wishes to you!

Back
Top Bottom