DUCK HOUSE

MyBlackHen brings up a good point about winter and pools, I'd be curious to know the answer as well because in Boise, even though we don't get a lot of snow, it does get below freezing for a good portion of our winter...

So true! Check your house and fenced in yard all over the place, then check again, then have a friend check. Really. So upsetting to get this wrong. Happened to my first group. Never happened after. I use carpenters cloth instead of chicken wire. Much harder to get through. Good luck
smile.png

Wow, Greenacres1 that's a legit setup! Never seen a run quite like that. Now for the pool question....Do ducks still need or even want to swim in winter or should I put the pool up for that time and just use a deep waterer?

I leave the kiddie pool in there throughout the winter since sometimes there are days in between freezing that there is a thaw. Sometime I might dump hot water in it to melt the water if it's going to be a little warmer to help melt. I have a couple of heated water bowls inside throughout winter...they usually end up in those

This is the house and run for my 2,

They stay in here during the day whilst I'm out and I shut them away in the house at night

When I'm at home to check they arn't up to too much mischief they have the run of the garden and the pond!

Question on flooring materials: we are making a large brooder in one of the horse stalls of our barn. We need to bring in fill because the floor is too low. Would it be good to put soil on half, and gravel on the other half? So the waterer would be on the gravel and when they make a mess in it it would drain more easily than if it was on soil?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom