DUCK HOUSE

I would be a little worried about them picking up the gravel curiosity wise and potentially getting it stuck. If you use something like pea gravel, I would put sand over it rather than just the gravel, but you still run the risk of them eating the sand maybe? I would just go with all dirt and just sift it around if water spills since really, its not like when you have the horses in there and the fire hydrant pee is going to be going on:)

It is nice to have gravel under their area with water it does make draining easier. I think pea gravel would be easier on their feet then the big gravels. Sand is a nice bedding material and can be used in either area. I have read people using rocks so they can spray them off but if you don't have access to a water hose with rocks you will need some way to clean the poop off them. I wouldn't use just dirt it will be a muddy mess. My ducks never eat rocks...lol. I not sure about the sand but they need grit so even if they did eat sand I couldn't see how it would hurt them.

In my ducks pen I have sand down, which I can basically just shovel in from the creek bank, then pine flakes over it. The reason I put sand down is because I have a wire floor and it was hard to fluff up the pine flakes without catching the wires.

Just an fyi, I raised ducks when I was little and while I was outside walking one of my ducks, it was pecking around and all of a sudden it keeled over like it was dead. I screamed and my dad came running outside. He opened the ducks beak and blew really hard few times. My duck, that looked dead, came to. It had a small pebble lodged in airway. My dad was a hero to say the least!

Well I guess it's possible, but if ducks will eat rocks and sand I don't understand how they are not extinct. All lakes and ponds and creeks have rocks and sand!

I can't wait to do a raised pool for my ducks. I was thinking maybe some sand and then some stepping stone. Not like slate put something porous so it's not slippery. Maybe with some ground cover in between the stones.

My ducks have finally got to move into their own house today!!!! So happy to get them out of the chicken house and into a place of their own. My son

Jason built, then placed the house and pen out by my pond. In a few days I will turn them out to the pond in the day time and at night they can be securely locked away in the "duck palace". WHOO HOO!!!! Happy ducks and happy ME.Notice, there are skylights on each side of the roof for extra lighting. I am so impressed with the awesome job Jason did.

It is nice to have gravel under their area with water it does make draining easier. I think pea gravel would be easier on their feet then the big gravels. Sand is a nice bedding material and can be used in either area. I have read people using rocks so they can spray them off but if you don't have access to a water hose with rocks you will need some way to clean the poop off them. I wouldn't use just dirt it will be a muddy mess. My ducks never eat rocks...lol. I not sure about the sand but they need grit so even if they did eat sand I couldn't see how it would hurt them.
In my ducks pen I have sand down, which I can basically just shovel in from the creek bank, then pine flakes over it. The reason I put sand down is because I have a wire floor and it was hard to fluff up the pine flakes without catching the wires.
I forgot to mention that I was going to put pine shavings over the soil as bedding. Then I can scoop out the bedding and replace. But I like your idea of sand instead of soil, with the shavings on top. Thanks!!

My ducks have finally got to move into their own house today!!!! So happy to get them out of the chicken house and into a place of their own. My son

Jason built, then placed the house and pen out by my pond. In a few days I will turn them out to the pond in the day time and at night they can be securely locked away in the "duck palace". WHOO HOO!!!! Happy ducks and happy ME.Notice, there are skylights on each side of the roof for extra lighting. I am so impressed with the awesome job Jason did.
What a great setup! And a beautiful pond to go with it!

You people are brave! I don't have any pics right now but my run is 12x12 hardware cloth and 2x4s with a wire and paver skirt around it, combination locks and love video cameras! I'm soo paranoid though. They NEVER free range unless I'm literally staring at them full time. I'm a bit safety crazed. This is heir third coop in 2 years! Lol I always find out safer ways and build a whole new coop and run. I'll try to get pics up later. I'm letting ivy climb over it so it's like a little secret duck pen! Lol I'm nuts

Back
Top Bottom