Duck Houses

Pics

This is a duck house/platform I launched a couple of days ago. The ducks ignored it that day. They free range there on 5 acres. For now they have a portable "coop" for shelter on land - or can go into the woods or into the barn nearby. I built the floating house so they could shelter at night with less chance of a predator surprising them.

My ducks have the basement of the chicken coop, a converted playhouse. There is a trap door in the floor of the coop to let the ducks in since we got the ducks before the chickens but they prefer to stay on the ground while the chickens like the raised house. We cut an access door for the chickens in one end and there is a window in the other end so the trap door is closed while I have chicks needing the extra heat from a heat lamp. There is a board on one side of the duck quarters and the other side is open while we build external nest boxes because the nest boxes will expand the duck quarters underneath.

The chickens have fenced pens on each end while the ducks have access to our fenced yard (except the garden). I also have a breeding trio of ducks in one of the connected safe pens so they have a dog house for shelter and a cat house for a nesting box. I have another dog house available for the ducks in the yard but they are nesting all over instead of using the shelters.

I have a chicken coop that I will put my ducks in at night.
so should I put food and water in the coop or will they get water every where?
or just out side?

or just out side?

We shut our ducks away at night without water, it's not a problem for them at all. Ducks tend to get water everywhere otherwise.

or just out side?

I don't put water or food in mine unless its hot at night then I leave water in but you don't have to. Just remember if you give them water don't give them food. They need water when they eat.

I have my 2 ducks in a smaller run with a mini pool aka Rubbermaid. My ducks are having some ducklings in about 2 weeks so I am building what my fiancé has deemed a palace. I am going to also add chickens to a separate area. I just finished phase 1 the pond. It is 150 gal pond from one of the big stores. I put a drain in and at the end of the drain I added a hose faucet to drain and water plants with the new fertilized water. I have some pictures of the build and will post more with more progress.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom