duck housing question

priszilla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
easley sc
I have 3 ducks in a dog kennel 10X12-it stays a sloppy muddy mess- they get to free range all day. DH wants to put smooth rock in the kennel for cleanliness- but I think that would hurt their footies- I rake it out once a week or every 10 days . i hve been putting shavings in the pen but hey are gone by the end of a week.THye have a waterer, a kiddie pool and a feeder as welll as a dog house in there. They are a khaki campbell and 2 khaki/mallard crosses.I am getting 2 ducklings this weeken- will this pen be too small for all 5 when they are grown? As I said they do free range during hte day. We have another Kennel that is 10X20- but it has a cement floor- and a dog in it-LOL;)

I believe you can use pea gravel and it shouldn't hurt their feet. As long as they're outside during the day, the run shouldn't accumulate too much hunk. Plus, the pea gravel will filter the water and much down through it.

The only thing I'd just watch for possible bumblefoot if any of them were to get a cut on the foot from the rock. But, since pea gravel is rounded, it's probably a remote chance of happening.

I'd put the kiddie pool outside the pen since they get out regularly. Then just move it to a different spot each time you dump it. Will keep the pen a whole lot less messy.

They have a little one in the pen and a bigger one outside-lol.Spoiled ! I was tyrying to figure out if anything would grow in there-Maybe I can grow flats of grass to rotate in and out? I'm still thinking they will be too crowded Maybe I can get 2 more panels to enlarge it.

Back
Top Bottom