Duck Housing

Smokey2201

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
I just got 2 Rouen Ducklings and 4 Muscovy Ducklings. They are in with my chickens currently but I want to build them there own house. How big should it be? What all do I need for them? I live in Mn so the winters get pretty cold. Thanks!

I just got 2 Rouen Ducklings and 4 Muscovy Ducklings. They are in with my chickens currently but I want to build them there own house. How big should it be? What all do I need for them? I live in Mn so the winters get pretty cold. Thanks!
Might find something to your liking here https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Duck+house+and+run

Ducks are very hardy and won't need supplemental heat as adults but good ventilation is a must just as with chickens. Their house should be close enough to the ground that they don't need to walk a long ramp or steep ramp but a wide ramp will be okay as long as it isn't steep. according to Storey's guide to raising Ducks which all duck owners should get says large ducks need at least 6 sq ft of floor space per bird . Run needs to have at least 10 sq ft or larger if you can per duck

Ducks love water so a kiddie pool they will love you for but as ducklings they will have to start with something like a cat litter pan with something on inside and out to help them get in and out bricks or large stones will work. Never let a duckling sit for long periods of time in water they can chill and die which means until they are feathered in someone should be with them anytime there is water deep enough for them to get into. The need to be able to dunk their heads everytime the eat to keep their nares and eyes clean. so some kind of water bowl that they can wash in with out getting into I'll get you a pic. Ducks are very messy so it's a good thing you don't intend to leave them with the chickens because they will muck up bedding pretty quick.

Matter of fact I would be extremely worried about leaving ducklings in with chickens, chickens can be very mean to ducklings even to killing them so If I was you I'd give the ducklings their own brooder away from the chickens, once the ducklings are larger then free ranging would probably be fine, my ducks chickens and geese all free range together but they do not sleep together.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Love to see some pics
smile.png

Last edited:
Might find something to your liking here https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Duck+house+and+run

Ducks are very hardy and won't need supplemental heat as adults but good ventilation is a must just as with chickens. Their house should be close enough to the ground that they don't need to walk a long ramp or steep ramp but a wide ramp will be okay as long as it isn't steep. according to Storey's guide to raising Ducks which all duck owners should get says large ducks need at least 6 sq ft of floor space per bird . Run needs to have at least 10 sq ft or larger if you can per duck

Ducks love water so a kiddie pool they will love you for but as ducklings they will have to start with something like a cat litter pan with something on inside and out to help them get in and out bricks or large stones will work. Never let a duckling sit for long periods of time in water they can chill and die which means until they are feathered in someone should be with them anytime there is water deep enough for them to get into. The need to be able to dunk their heads everytime the eat to keep their nares and eyes clean. so some kind of water bowl that they can wash in with out getting into I'll get you a pic. Ducks are very messy so it's a good thing you don't intend to leave them with the chickens because they will muck up bedding pretty quick.

Matter of fact I would be extremely worried about leaving ducklings in with chickens, chickens can be very mean to ducklings even to killing them so If I was you I'd give the ducklings their own brooder away from the chickens, once the ducklings are larger then free ranging would probably be fine, my ducks chickens and geese all free range together but they do not sleep together.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Love to see some pics
smile.png
Thank you! That helps alot! Sorry I meant that the ducklings were with some chicks. Here are some pictures. They were swimming in a puddle. Once they get bigger they are gonna have there own house.

Thank you! That helps alot! Sorry I meant that the ducklings were with some chicks. Here are some pictures. They were swimming in a puddle. Once they get bigger they are gonna have there own house.

Oh good you had me worried. They are adorable and look like they are having a blast.

Sorry about that I'll have to remember to put chicks next time. Do rouens and muscovys get big?
Yes they do Muscovy drakes can top out around 15lbs ducks 6 . Rouens I think pretty close but I don't know that much about the Rouen other than they are considered heavy weights and are pretty. Storey's guide to raising ducks says Rouens should weigh 9-12 lbs.

Last edited:
Yes they do Muscovy drakes can top out around 15lbs ducks 6 . Rouens I think pretty close but I don't know that much about the Rouen other than they are considered heavy weights and are pretty. Storey's guide to raising ducks says Rouens should weigh 9-12 lbs.
Ok Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom