Duck hurt. Feeling hopeless...

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
So last night the female of my pair was injured. We don't know exactly what happened because we weren't there but we think the only possible thing is she got clipped by a car. She had a half dollar size wound on her lower back and wouldn't/couldn't walk-just flop. We took her to the vet who didn't feel anything broken up through her hips although she couldn't feel her pelvis. She was going to try and stitch up the wound but my husband went in to bring food this morning and said the wound is now about 4 inches around. The vet doesn't come until 9 so I don't know what happened. She did give one quack when she saw my husband which is the first since she got hurt. She ate peas but was completely uninterested in pellets. And she squirmed a little but again wouldn't/couldn't stand. The vet was hoping it's just because she's in pain but I'm just not so sure about that. They said she can come home if she starts eating and we'll do x-Rays if she's not up in another day or too. I'm feeling so hopeless and anxious and these are my first so I have to idea how to take care of an injured duck. And if she can't walk- well that is no life for her. She is so active, loves to forage, fly across the yard. She's so fun and full of energy and personality. Sorry for the long post I'm just a little distraught. Also anyone have any suggestions for the best thing to keep her in s she can see/her male partner can see her but will keep them seperate and she can be comfortable in?

Ducks are amazing creatures and can heal remarkably well. When I first joined, that was one of the first discussions I got involved in is how well they rebound. Here's what I'd suggest. If you have a dog carrier or crate, set her up in it with lots of comfortable old towels or rags for her to sit on. A unbreakable mirror and a stuffed animal go a long way to helping ease the pain of loneliness too. Luke warm baths might be beneficial as well to help take the strain off muscles, bones and or tendons that have been hurt and or bruised. I wouldn't put anything in the water until you know for sure that all open wounds have healed. That's a good start and I'm sure in no time there will be plenty of more responses with lots of encouraging words of wisdom and suggestions.

Ducks are amazing creatures and can heal remarkably well.  When I first joined, that was one of the first discussions I got involved in is how well they rebound.  Here's what I'd suggest.  If you have a dog carrier or crate, set her up in it with lots of comfortable old towels or rags for her to sit on.  A unbreakable mirror and a stuffed animal go a long way to helping ease the pain of loneliness too.  Luke warm baths might be beneficial as well to help take the strain off muscles, bones and or tendons that have been hurt and or bruised. I wouldn't put anything in the water until you know for sure that all open wounds have healed.  That's a good start and I'm sure in no time there will be plenty of more responses with lots of encouraging words of wisdom and suggestions.  

Thanks so much for your reply. She's in a crate right now with food and water and I'll try and introduce a stuffed animal though I don't know if she'll go for that :) I was thinking of putting puppy pads over the towel as I do t have that many to reduce laundry. Do you think that would work? It's what they had her on at the hospital but I don't know if it's good for long term. She's also not eating anything g except some peas. She's never been big on treats and much preferred to forage so I'm having trouble getting anything in her. I'm sure she doesn't feel well so maybe her appetite will pick up in a few days? She is drinking. Thanks again for responding. You're encouraging words about the resilience of ducks has improved my spirits :)

I have a duck currently in a crate in the house. I put puppy pads over the towel. It makes for a quick clean up here and there, and then a total change at least daily. If she stays on the pad sometimes you can get two days out of the towel. How does her poop look? If her poop is looking pretty normal she's eating more than you think. Try putting a towel over the crate on three sides so she feels more secure and only has things coming at her from one side. Sometimes I cover the fourth so she can rest. Leave food and water in there and check on her. Just some suggestions on what ive found to work..being cozy and able to rest in a crate will help her to heal as well. Might take longer than a few days though..

Last edited:
I have a duck currently in a crate in the house. I put puppy pads over the towel. It makes for a quick clean up here and there, and then a total change at least daily. If she stays on the pad sometimes you can get two days out of the towel. How does her poop look? If her poop is looking pretty normal she's eating more than you think. Try putting a towel over the crate on three sides so she feels more secure and only has things coming at her from one side. Sometimes I cover the fourth so she can rest. Leave food and water in there and check on her. Just some suggestions on what ive found to work..being cozy and able to rest in a crate will help her to heal as well. Might take longer than a few days though..

I have her on the puppy pads now. Her poop is very watery (she's normally pretty solid) and still haven't been able to get her to eat more than a few peas. I thought about covering her up but she has been panting some not sure if it's from heat or stress or both. Maybe the towels keep her warmer than she's used to do I thought covering her might make it worse if she's hot. She's in a dark room now to get some rest. She can stand for a second but quickly falls over. She can scoot around some which is good because she can move away from the stools some though I'm trying to change them as frequently as possible. Thanks for the input. Every response I get helps!

Are you trying to get her to eat while you're there? If so, stick some food and water in there and leave her for a little while. Even the friendliest of my ducks who will eat out ofmy hand outside won't eat out of my hand if crated inside. The panting could be either. I mean as long as she eats even just a little, it's better than nothing and hopefully she will eat more as she feels better. I mean the fact she couldn't stand before and stood for a second is kinda good..give her time.

Are you trying to get her to eat while you're there? If so, stick some food and water in there and leave her for a little while. Even the friendliest of my ducks who will eat out ofmy hand outside won't eat out of my hand if crated inside. The panting could be either. I mean as long as she eats even just a little, it's better than nothing and hopefully she will eat more as she feels better. I mean the fact she couldn't stand before and stood for a second is kinda good..give her time.

I have been leaving food in the crate but she still won't touch it. No peas last night or this morning either. However as a last resort I took her outside to lay in the grass. She usually spends most of her day foraging and I thought it might make her happy. Well she went crazy for the grass and ate the two slugs I managed to find her. She pretty much can foraged as normal only without moving. I rotated her and she seemed pretty happy. She also stood maybe for a little longer this morning and I held her for a little so she could also stretch her legs. It's hard because my ducks have never been much for treats (except peas) and usually don't eat pellets except after they've been running around all day working up an appetite I guess so getting the to eat or take medicine has been quite the challenge. Thanks for checking in again!

Hope she's doing okay now!! Have you tried letting her swim?? I have a duck crated inside with a leg injury and I have been letting her swim around the bath tub a lotttt and I think it's really helping. If she seems just exhausted or like it would be too much for her at this point, then definitely don't do it but if she seems okay, a lukewarm bath will let her move around without any weight on her legs or anything. Hope she is eating now too!
1f495.png

Hope she's doing okay now!! Have you tried letting her swim?? I have a duck crated inside with a leg injury and I have been letting her swim around the bath tub a lotttt and I think it's really helping. If she seems just exhausted or like it would be too much for her at this point, then definitely don't do it but if she seems okay, a lukewarm bath will let her move around without any weight on her legs or anything. Hope she is eating now too!
1f495.png
X2

1f495.png

I really want to do that. He vet said wait 5 days which may be because of the wound on her back. But I think I may try letting her swim tonight. She seems to be really missing it and she is much happier when doing her normal ducky things. She's not eating any pellets yet :( though she will it grass if I let her lay outside and she ate 4 slugs and a snail yesterday :) she also ate some lettuce in her water this morning. Hopefully that's progress but I'd feel a lot better if she was eating her food!

Back
Top Bottom