DUCK IN NEED OF YOUR HELP so not to be eaten for x mas

mike melone

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
Hello i need help, a duck was delivered to my door in a box . it is white and has black on her ? back. It looks like a Muscovy? from what i can see. It is very tame but one of it's legs is not working, i felt it and can not feel a brake I had a Mallard and shows the same sypt. as this one and recovered in 2 weeks. like a pulled or torn something, this is a full grown duck. What do you think. What is the diet wile she is in my care?
The man that brought her to me wants to eat her for xmas if i can't get her back to health…. can anyone give me some answers. Some one thought a turtle might have tried to eat her and pulled the leg wile she was getting a way?
I rehab Squirrels and know what to do with them but a duck i just don't have a educated clue. thanks help. mike , orlando fl.

Wow, what a nightmare neighbor you must have... "Here, have this maimed duck, if you can't fix her I'm eating her. Toodles."

Unfortunately ducks and squirrels are VERY different, and without an Xray there's no way to be sure. It could be a dislocation, it could be a hairline fracture, a local infection, or any number of injuries that wouldn't be immediately noticeable. Ducks are very good at hiding their pain, as they are prey animals. She needs to see a vet.

What you can do is look up local wildlife rehabilitators or adoptioneers in your area and give the duck to them. The man gave her to you to "fix", so if he gets upset over it you can just tell him that's precisely what you did.

x2. I would never let someone have a duck back that they gave to me and kinda threatened me with its life :/

I know, right?? If those were his true intentions you'd think he'd have the wherewithal to keep it to himself. But nope.

(also MLP yay)

People these days.. :T id be like "Sorry sir your duck is no longer with US. :3" Talk about demanding.... and he didnt even offer to pay vet fees or something??

Are you able to post pics of the leg? Sometimes if it's nothing too serious you can fix it yourself with a little TLC and/or wrapping. Really depends what the problem is. Kudos to you for trying to help her, though! :)

It could be malnurished, torn something, bumble foot, leg infection, not enough nicene . it might not be hrydrated, genetic problem, it could be a whole bunch of things, just nourish it then you can file a law suit for someone dumping and abandoning it at your home and then threatening its life.

Here is what I would do.

(First, let me say, hooray for you! You care!!!!)

Edit - the first thing I would do is get her into a tub of lukewarm water (see below). Then I would try some treats while she's in the tub, and then try the next thing here.
….
Okay. Make an Epsom salt compress (Epsom salt solution soaked into a clean rag), wrap the foot and leg, and hold the duck for ten minutes if possible. Do that three times a day to start.

or

Put some Epsom salt solution in a flat-bottomed, shallow bucket or tall bowl (I like soup pots for some things). Have her stand in the bucket or bowl, don't let her drink it, it is a laxative.

If at all possible, take a fecal sample to a vet - mine will have it tested for parasites for about $20 and they let me know within a day or two. If she has parasites, then you can treat her.

I would get poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics, put that into her drinking water twice a week. For her, every three days. Get some calcium citrate supplements (at the drugstore - nothing else in it), dissolve 200 mg in a cup of water and give her a quarter cup of that, either in her food, or put some mashed green peas in it. Something she will eat. I give my flock calcium citrate supplement because we have ducks who seem to need extra extra calcium.

I would keep her in a safe, relatively warm (above 45F), clean place with plenty of fresh water and good quality food.

The food: If at all possible, organic layer food. Maybe you can find someone near you who has it, who can give you a couple weeks' worth to start. Give her some greens - not spinach, but lettuce, carrot tops, radish tops, shredded kale or bok choi. Some means a half a cup a day, twice a day if she likes it.

Add a couple of tablespoons of good quality dried cat kibble to her food daily.

Get her into a tub of lukewarm water and watch her - how she moves, smells, and sounds. She should not smell bad after her first swim (I suspect she may not have had the best environment before), should be using both legs, balanced in the water, maybe making a few little sounds, wiggling her tail sometimes. Offer her some treats - start with a few frozen peas. See if she will take them. Or a few shreds of lettuce.

Gently feel her belly - is there an egg stuck in there? A swim may help get it out.

Those are my first thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom