Duck incubation question

DuckyBabies

Songster
Oct 15, 2018
At what point do you see development in a duck egg? I am on day 7 of incubation with 5 eggs and when candling them today I’m just not seeing anything. This is also my first time incubating, so I don’t have a trained eye. I am curious if it is just me not knowing what I’m looking for or if they are all not fertilized.

By seven days you can usually see a dark spot with a couple red veins coming out. Give it a few more days though, if they are developing it will become more obvious every day.
How old are your ducks? If they are young, even though they are mating the eggs won’t be fertile. I believe drakes have to be a certain age before they can fertilize eggs.

They are about 8 months old. I noticed mating behavior, but I honestly didn’t have much hope for these eggs. I just don’t want to toss the eggs if there is a chance of something hatching. If these don’t work out, I plan on waiting until the spring.

I can usually see development by day 4. Make sure your light is bright, 200+ lumens or more is better, and fresh batteries!

This was day 5 or 6:
but give them until at least day 10 if in doubt
WP_20180311_23_10_35_Pro.jpg

When I candle them, I see nothing. I can see where the yolk is, but that’s about it.

If it looks really yellow/clear, they are more than likely infertile. If you see any orangish color, you have a better shot at them being fertile. I’d say just give them a few more days and you will know.

If it looks really yellow/clear, they are more than likely infertile. If you see any orangish color, you have a better shot at them being fertile. I’d say just give them a few more days and you will know.

I see an orange color in the middle of the egg, but I’m assuming that it’s the yolk. I’m totally new at this so I may be wrong. So far, I just see no dark spot or veins or really any development. If this batch is not fertile, I am really hoping for a good spring batch.

I see an orange color in the middle of the egg, but I’m assuming that it’s the yolk. I’m totally new at this so I may be wrong. So far, I just see no dark spot or veins or really any development. If this batch is not fertile, I am really hoping for a good spring batch.
Do you have any picture?

Back
Top Bottom