Duck incubation

Athiena14

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
I'm getting in duck eggs with my chicken eggs tomorrow. Never hatched ducks before. Any help on how to do it? I read so many different thing for them like after day 7 you need to mist them with water. But other pages don't say it. Can anyone help me out?

I just hatched 6 ducklings and 11 chicks, my most successful hatch ever. This is what I learned:
1. Humidity, humidity, humidity! It is a problem too high as well as too low. My area's humidity is naturally high. I used to add lots of water to the incubator (thinking I was helping) but it prevented the eggs from losing enough water for my ducklings and chicks to hatch. They would make it to the last week and then several would die! This time I monitored the humidity carefully and all six hatched. This link explains how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/ . Follow it! I did mist mine lightly as recommended.
2. Timing. As you probably know, duck incubation is 28 days, chickens only 21. I set my duck eggs, waited a week and then set my chicken eggs. That way everyone was locked down at the same time and I wasn't opening and closing the the incubator all the time. Ducklings are MUCH slower to hatch. My eggs all piped on the morning of day 26 but didn't hatch until late in the day on day 28 (one waited until the next morning). So, don't become alarmed (like I did) when they haven't hatched 24 hours after piping or take hours to actually hatch. The chickens seem to pip, take a nap, then hatch quickly.
I hope all goes well with your hatching. It is sooo much fun! There are some kind people on the hatching forum who will hold your hand through it, especially when it seems like the ducklings will never hatch :)
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg

Last edited:
I just hatched 6 ducklings and 11 chicks, my most successful hatch ever. This is what I learned:
1. Humidity, humidity, humidity! It is a problem too high as well as too low. My area's humidity is naturally high. I used to add lots of water to the incubator (thinking I was helping) but it prevented the eggs from losing enough water for my ducklings and chicks to hatch. They would make it to the last week and then several would die! This time I monitored the humidity carefully and all six hatched. This link explains how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/ . Follow it! I did mist mine lightly as recommended.
2. Timing. As you probably know, duck incubation is 28 days, chickens only 21. I set my duck eggs, waited a week and then set my chicken eggs. That way everyone was locked down at the same time and I wasn't opening and closing the the incubator all the time. Ducklings are MUCH slower to hatch. My eggs all piped on the morning of day 26 but didn't hatch until late in the day on day 28 (one waited until the next morning). So, don't become alarmed (like I did) when they haven't hatched 24 hours after piping or take hours to actually hatch. The chickens seem to pip, take a nap, then hatch quickly.
I hope all goes well with your hatching. It is sooo much fun! There are some kind people on the hatching forum who will hold your hand through it, especially when it seems like the ducklings will never hatch :)
View attachment 1310201 View attachment 1310203
Awwww soooo cute:love:love:bow

View attachment 1310201 View attachment 1310203

They are so cute. I'm hoping I get mine right the first time they only sent 2 in the group of 15 eggs the rest were chickens. My humidity needs to go down before they go in... I put too much in and its at 80% XD I was really tired last night when I did it

Back
Top Bottom