Duck incubation?

mbearrentine

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2023
This is my first time incubating duck eggs. We are on day 6. 16 eggs we found in a cold nest. I didn’t have very much hope for them, but peeked and so far there’s 9 I see growing, the rest just look clear with yolk. I’m leaving them until maybe Saturday or Sunday to check again. I know lockdown should be day 25/26, but is misting and cooling starting halfway a must? Also, when they hatch do you leave all ducklings in until they’re all out, or is it okay to take them out when dry? Mama duck gave up the last clutch halfway through. Really any tips you have for me I would be extremely grateful😊

This is my first time incubating duck eggs. We are on day 6. 16 eggs we found in a cold nest. I didn’t have very much hope for them, but peeked and so far there’s 9 I see growing, the rest just look clear with yolk. I’m leaving them until maybe Saturday or Sunday to check again. I know lockdown should be day 25/26, but is misting and cooling starting halfway a must? Also, when they hatch do you leave all ducklings in until they’re all out, or is it okay to take them out when dry? Mama duck gave up the last clutch halfway through. Really any tips you have for me I would be extremely grateful😊
@New duck mommy 2021 has a lot of experience with duck eggs

You can take it out when dried. The duck will be fine in there for 24-48hrs. It is the same as chicken. If you remove the young duck, just wet a warm towel and toss in the corner quick that good enough. Don't open the lid too long and often it will effect the unhatching eggs.

Any eggs that are clear at this stage I would just remove
It’s not worth one exploding and risking the hatch
Day 25 is the books ideal day
I myself shoot for that day but really I follow my eggs
I candle daily
The 3 things I look for to start lockdown are
Egg rocking and moving around ( yes some will be in a different spot then you set them ) not always but I did think I was going crazy a few times lol
Shadowing along the lowest part of the air cell
Air cell dipping forward really fast
I mark my air cells that way I know when it’s going quickly
If these things happen day 23 or day 27 that’s when my lockdown starts
I start the cooling and misting on day 10 till lockdown
My mom duck would leave her nest 2 times a day
In the morning for about 40-60 mins
Eating , drinking and a fast swim
In late afternoon it would be 10-20 mins
By cooling and misting we are copying mom
I can’t say if it works better as it’s the only way I have done it over the years
However I do get 90-100% hatch rates each time

Back
Top Bottom