Duck Injuries!!!

NEIAMuscovies

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2017
Northeast Iowa, USA
Hello everyone,

I have a duck that I noticed had issues walking. It's been real cold but had warmed some. I figured she was just wet and cold so I snagged her up and brought her inside. I looked at her feet and the seemed to be fine. I ended up having to put another real young hen with her. That hen had obvious dry gangrene/frost bite. They do really well together. Last night I gave the young duck a soak/peroxide dip on her feet and cleaned their cage so I soaked the old hen too. As soon as I picked her up I knew their was more to the issue. I could smell rotten flesh. I soaked her then got peroxide on her feet too. The left foot looks iffy her right was grayish and felt hollow. I could feel the bone but the skin was like a molted snake skin. She was losing her nails. I was thinking of doing a iodine soak tonight to try and cotter off the infection. Im worried it has advanced too far and she could be septic. She is still strong and fights me she eats drinks and bathes well. Any ideas on how I can help her? She is my number one mommy and my oldest hen.

Thank you.

Thank you for the update.
I'm sorry to hear that she will be losing so much of her feet. Hopefully she will learn to adapt and be a good brood hen for you.

If you have time, please post some photos as she heals. Timeline photos are always helpful, we all can learn something from them.

I have her in a smaller pen and then have to check on her every few hours to check for cuts. Yesterday she scrapped her one leg real good so I washed it and put on some iodine then a pad with skin tape and put her back in her coop till it heals alittle. I am hoping to work with her to develop tougher skin but not sure if that will happen. So I am getting that athletic wrap and use it to wrap her stubs for some cusioning. I am hoping the althelic wrap can surivie mud and water so that I can let her out if the coop more and put a pool in her pen.

Never use Peroxide....It actually eats the heathy tissue too.....Epsom salts to soak the feet and do not let them drink it....then put on an antibiotic spray or use Neosporin cream......

You might need to put down a bed of straw so the Ducks can huddle into it and keep their feet warm....lift all water sources that they can get into and use smaller livestock bowls for drinking....

Sorry your birds are suffering ..........

B]

Back
Top Bottom