duck is pigeon toed

at 2 months a tablespoon or 2 of Brewers yeast added to their feed daily would also help.
Thanks Miss L, I forgot that one! Or a 100mg niacin tablet crushed and added to their water daily would help as well. You can get both at WalMart. If you go the niacin route, make sure you get plain old niacin, ask the pharmicist, they usually have it behind the counter at mine. You want to make sure you do not use the 'no-flush' or the time released. Neither one do any good whatsoever. They leave the system long before they can be released and give any benefits at all. Another thing that will give them a more natural niacin boost is meal worms. They love them and if given as a treat or bribe, lol, they will be getting extra niacin. Niacin is a water soluable B vitamin so it is hard to give too much. I would do the 100mgs a day and see how it all goes.

I have some who have had this problem as well. Now you haven't said how old he is, but I have found the more time they spend walking and swimming the better it will get. As long as it isn't keeping him from getting around, I would leave it and let him work it out, he will. If it is really bad, to the point he just can't get around, there are ways to make a braces/wrap that will start turning the foot out. If he is young still, less than 4 months old, this shouldn't be needed.
Can you tell me how to use the wrap or braces to start turning my pekins feet out? She is a little over a year old and can't get around. Thanks

I have a duck that is very badly pigeon toed and can’t get around as well as the other ducks. She swims and can fly to help waddle but has trouble with her feather oils when swimming. She is about 2 months old now, I waited it out like most recommended, we got her special food with more niacin in it but nothing has seemed to work for her. I’ve thought about getting her a splint but with how grown she is already we’re concerned that her legs with break:( she is a white duck and before we knew she was a female we named her Fred.

If they are pigeon toed it's likely due to a niacin deficiency when they were growing. The best thing to do is get them on the liquid vitamin B complex supplement as soon as possible, plus adding brewer's or nutritional yeast to their food. Pekins are especially prone to this - they just need extra niacin.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 5
I have a duck that is very badly pigeon toed and can’t get around as well as the other ducks. She swims and can fly to help waddle but has trouble with her feather oils when swimming. She is about 2 months old now, I waited it out like most recommended, we got her special food with more niacin in it but nothing has seemed to work for her. I’ve thought about getting her a splint but with how grown she is already we’re concerned that her legs with break:( she is a white duck and before we knew she was a female we named her Fred.
You may want to make a new thread as this lne is very old- do you know how? If not I can guide you l
on how--
It does sound like a niacin deficiency and despite being on the correct food now, it won't contain enough niacin to get her back where she should be.
If you can, a trip to TSC and getting some Durvet cattle injectable B complex would be best, 1 ml orally via a treat, daily until improvement.

If not, niacin tablets (flush effect, not flush free, you can get them online) 100mg tablet broken, powder mixed to 1 gallon of water. Use this as their drinking water and it will give them some extra niacin, but the B complex is the best stuff if you can get it where you are.

If she worsens or you cant find the right stuff, definitely post a thread!
Best of luck!

My Pekin duckling has a similar problem. When she was fairly young (first month or so) she was extremely pigeon-toed and constantly stumbling and stepping over herself. Since her body has filled out a little more and her hips have widened (4+ weeks in), her leg that would twist inward has mostly corrected itself. I think essentially what had happened was her feet and legs were simply growing faster than her body was, and was causing her to really have trouble running/walking around.

My suggestion is to just wait it out and if it continues to be bad after your duckling is about a month old, you might need to start thinking about ways to correct it (if you care that much, not everyone does).

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif
Hi,

I just did some research on this and it stems from a niacin deficiency due to feeding them chick food. My girl has the same problem, and is too old to fix from what I see.

Good luck all.

Kris

Thanks Miss L, I forgot that one! Or a 100mg niacin tablet crushed and added to their water daily would help as well. You can get both at WalMart. If you go the niacin route, make sure you get plain old niacin, ask the pharmicist, they usually have it behind the counter at mine. You want to make sure you do not use the 'no-flush' or the time released. Neither one do any good whatsoever. They leave the system long before they can be released and give any benefits at all. Another thing that will give them a more natural niacin boost is meal worms. They love them and if given as a treat or bribe, lol, they will be getting extra niacin. Niacin is a water soluable B vitamin so it is hard to give too much. I would do the 100mgs a day and see how it all goes.
Yes to the niacin and the brewer’s yeast. My ducks love green peas. They also have quite a bit of niacin. I get a frozen bag and thaw them out (they eat them frozen in the hot summer!)

Back
Top Bottom