1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck is sitting!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quirkybeeper, May 19, 2012.

1. gnmrk2000

gnmrk2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    North West New Jersey
    Thank you so much for your reply! It was very helpful and hopefully I will be posting duckling pics soon. According your post however, it will probably be a week later than I thought since she was only sitting sometimes for the first few days. Gosh, what am I gonna do if a lot of these eggs are fertile [​IMG]

2. quirkybeeper

quirkybeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Guilford County, NC
    Well, I think my duck got bored with sitting there all the time and is no longer on the nest :(
    I'll be collecting eggs for a while, as my mature drake has been separated out for a little while. Maybe once I put them back together we can get some ducklings :)

3. klemele

klemele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    I have two Rouen ducks and they are 4 months 1 week old. They started mating at the age of 3 months old. Is that natural? Should my female start laying soon? Should I add a nesting box to be sure?:fl

4. callducksxx

callducksxx New Egg

Aug 30, 2014
    I'm not an expert, but I advise you not to move the nest and make another one, research says ducks will choose their own places to make a nest, and if you make one for them they might not use it. but I'm not sure, it could work. All I know is that I've read somewhere that you should never disturb their nests and make ones for them. I think nesting boxes are fine though.:D

5. klemele

klemele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ok maybe should I make a box but lay materials around for her to make the nest out of? I researched it and said it is affective!!! She seems to have a pouch starting between her legs...[​IMG][​IMG]

6. 3rdGenFarmer

3rdGenFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    Hello the past two days I've been letting my ducks eggs in their coop. today my mallard started to sit on the eggs. Was wondering if this is normal and if she'd hatch the eggs would the male kill them? He doesn't seem aggressive

7. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

I'd separate the drake when the eggs start to hatch. Keep and eye on her, not all ducks stay broody. Be prepared to have an incubator backup plan.

8. KBgirls

KBgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Taunton MA
    I have a weird question, so I have a female Rouen and female Khaki they both seem to want to be a mother. They both have been sitting on this one egg that is in the coop for hours and if one duck gets off of it the other duck sits on it this has been going on for a few weeks. I collect the eggs but feel bad it seems they both are desperate to become a mother. So call me crazy but I bought 3 fertilized duck eggs online I don't have a incubater and not going to run out to get one, my idea is to put the fertilized eggs in the nest and see what happens! So my question is has anyone tried this or have any idea if they will hatched???

9. 3rdGenFarmer

3rdGenFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2014
    My Call/mallard duck is finally sitting I think on 18 ages! She really has the nest built up and sometimes can barely see her in it. Was wondering when they hatch if i should get some chick feed and out that out for them or will she feed them?

10. unlucky picker

unlucky picker Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Same as 3rd gen farmer. My female is sitting on eggs and now she's not getting off. Wonder how many days do they do this before eggs start to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by