Duck Keeping Attire & Equipment

fatedfaithfulfatal

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I looked through and didn't find an appropriate forum or existing thread for this, so I figured I'd post it here. Plus I do think ducks have extra wetness involved perhaps affecting the best choice for attire.

I'm looking for any recommendations & suggestions for first of all clothing and secondly tools & equipment to make tending to my flock as easy as possible.

Also open to input on routines.

Basically I've never really had any outdoor work obligations that couldn't be put off before (other than cleaning off my car and shoveling snow so I could get out in the morning. I certainly have never been one to be outside at first light doing chores and I'm the type to stay under warm blankets as long as possible. I also struggle with task initiation and procrastination in general due to ADHD and sensory issues regarding temperature. I've decided that the only way I'm going to be able to keep up properly caring for my ducks long term is if I invest in some good outdoor work clothes I can easily slip on to keep me warm and dry, and proper tools/equipment for cleaning the coop.

There's so many options though and reviews are inconsistent and in some cases, irrelevant (young women buying for fashion and not actually doing any work in them).

I need a good pair of overalls I can slip over my PJ pants and a jacket that are:

rip resistant (as I bump into and get snagged on everything).

warm (not winter insulated warm, I'll get those later, just cool summer-fall mornings (I'm in New Hampshire).

Allow for easy movement

At least somewhat waterproof. Though ideally I'd be able to kneel on the wet ground without immediately soaking through.

Additionally, I'm wondering what might be the best tool for fluffing and removing wood shavings. It's a smaller coop, not one I can walk into and shovel, I have to open a door and lean in, so something with a long handle. I always see people using pitch forks, but I can’t imagine it would work as well for shavings.

If I wasn’t so low income, I’d simply use trial and error to figure this all out, but I can’t afford to be wasting money on things that aren’t going to work for me.

Any other clothing items/tools/ or other suggestions are more than welcome.
I’ve started a small helpful habit which in instead of doing food/water/bedding/thawing of peas (to lure them in lol) right when I go to put them to bed. I get it all done at some earlier point in the evening so when I go out just as it’s almost dark, all I have to do is give them their treats and get them locked in.

I just need to make everything as easy and stress free as possible otherwise they may get neglected on my “low spoon” days. And that’s something I absolutely don’t want happening.

I like Frogg Toggs for rain wear. I have pants and a jacket and the jacket can be worn over a heaveir jacket to keep you dry. The pants are pull on and go right over what pants you are wearing.Both machine washable.
https://www.froggtoggs.com/
Boots are Sloggers
https://www.sloggers.com/
in winter I have insulated boots.
These are just ideas I am sure you can find cheaper stuff.

I use a blunt nosed shovel for clean up it works good for scooping up wet spots.

I also have slip on sloggers, ankle boots tend to capture falling debris. (I can find them locally 50% off clearance.) Oversized calf high rubber boots and thick socks to trudge through the winter snows, slip on snow boots for less depth. The best summer shoes are the ones meant for kayaking/boating: stretchy fabric, velcro closure, designed to be wet. Walmart has them and I grabbed a ton on $1 clearance last fall.

Cheap denim bib overalls for summer (I think mine were Walmart.) $80 for Berne insulated bib overalls in winter; they've kept me warm 3 winters so far and have lots more wear. A cheap nylon puffy jacket on top. I'm not standing in the rain to clean.

#1 you didn't mention: insulated waterproof gloves. Chillygrip, which are often on sale here, lasted 2 years before the insulation wore off. My replacements don't cover the wrists as well. Also generic work gloves so you aren't touching dirty poo.

Clean up is a garden rake (not the leaf kind), a hay fork for winter frozen/packed straw, a grain/scoop shovel for big wet spots and general lifting, a cheap $1 trowel to dig poo out of corners, a cheap $1 broom, and a wagon to haul it. I had a muck trug I liked, but it shattered in the cold. Clean shavings shoved into $1 bucket and scattered where necessary, or dumped and raked out for big cleans.

I like Frogg Toggs for rain wear.
I had a frogg toggs suit before, but it seemed like it would rip pretty easily. That one I got in the fishing department at bass pro I think, so maybe their general work line is a bit more rugged?
https://www.sloggers.com/
These are just ideas I am sure you can find cheaper stuff.
I don’t mind spending a bit for quality stuff at this point, just want to make sure I’m getting what’s actually going to work so I don’t have to keep buying more to find the right stuff.
I've never even considered special clothes for poultry tending, besides muckboots.
Try Duluth trading company, they have quality works clothes.
I’ve just never really bothered with any quality outdoor or work gear before, so wasn’t entirely sure what to be looking for honestly. Now that I’m getting older, my tolerance for cold and wet is not what it used to be.
I also have slip on sloggers, ankle boots tend to capture falling debris. (I can find them locally 50% off clearance.) Oversized calf high rubber boots and thick socks to trudge through the winter snows, slip on snow boots for less depth. The best summer shoes are the ones meant for kayaking/boating: stretchy fabric, velcro closure, designed to be wet. Walmart has them and I grabbed a ton on $1 clearance last fall.

Cheap denim bib overalls for summer (I think mine were Walmart.) $80 for Berne insulated bib overalls in winter; they've kept me warm 3 winters so far and have lots more wear. A cheap nylon puffy jacket on top. I'm not standing in the rain to clean.

#1 you didn't mention: insulated waterproof gloves. Chillygrip, which are often on sale here, lasted 2 years before the insulation wore off. My replacements don't cover the wrists as well. Also generic work gloves so you aren't touching dirty poo.

Clean up is a garden rake (not the leaf kind), a hay fork for winter frozen/packed straw, a grain/scoop shovel for big wet spots and general lifting, a cheap $1 trowel to dig poo out of corners, a cheap $1 broom, and a wagon to haul it. I had a muck trug I liked, but it shattered in the cold. Clean shavings shoved into $1 bucket and scattered where necessary, or dumped and raked out for big cleans.

Thank you all for the suggestions. All this should certainly get me on the right path to being properly outfitted!

I just wear regular clothes, wear chooka rain boots that costco sells every fall - they only last a year at about $25 and are easy to just slip my foot in and out of. For cleaning the shavings I use a light long handled rake with a smaller than normal head and a giant metal dust pan that I rake the dirty shavings into. I keep a wheelbarrow near by and just dump the messy ones into that and dump the wheel barrow in my dumping pile when it fills up.

I just wear regular clothes, wear chooka rain boots that costco sells every fall - they only last a year at about $25 and are easy to just slip my foot in and out of. For cleaning the shavings I use a light long handled rake with a smaller than normal head and a giant metal dust pan that I rake the dirty shavings into. I keep a wheelbarrow near by and just dump the messy ones into that and dump the wheel barrow in my dumping pile when it fills up.
Oooh, I actually have a giant metal “dust pan”. It’s actually for shoveling ash out of a wood stove, but it’s a bit too wide for my tiny stove.

I looked through and didn't find an appropriate forum or existing thread for this, so I figured I'd post it here. Plus I do think ducks have extra wetness involved perhaps affecting the best choice for attire.

I'm looking for any recommendations & suggestions for first of all clothing and secondly tools & equipment to make tending to my flock as easy as possible.

Also open to input on routines.

Basically I've never really had any outdoor work obligations that couldn't be put off before (other than cleaning off my car and shoveling snow so I could get out in the morning. I certainly have never been one to be outside at first light doing chores and I'm the type to stay under warm blankets as long as possible. I also struggle with task initiation and procrastination in general due to ADHD and sensory issues regarding temperature. I've decided that the only way I'm going to be able to keep up properly caring for my ducks long term is if I invest in some good outdoor work clothes I can easily slip on to keep me warm and dry, and proper tools/equipment for cleaning the coop.

There's so many options though and reviews are inconsistent and in some cases, irrelevant (young women buying for fashion and not actually doing any work in them).

I need a good pair of overalls I can slip over my PJ pants and a jacket that are:

rip resistant (as I bump into and get snagged on everything).

warm (not winter insulated warm, I'll get those later, just cool summer-fall mornings (I'm in New Hampshire).

Allow for easy movement

At least somewhat waterproof. Though ideally I'd be able to kneel on the wet ground without immediately soaking through.

Additionally, I'm wondering what might be the best tool for fluffing and removing wood shavings. It's a smaller coop, not one I can walk into and shovel, I have to open a door and lean in, so something with a long handle. I always see people using pitch forks, but I can’t imagine it would work as well for shavings.

If I wasn’t so low income, I’d simply use trial and error to figure this all out, but I can’t afford to be wasting money on things that aren’t going to work for me.

Any other clothing items/tools/ or other suggestions are more than welcome.
I’ve started a small helpful habit which in instead of doing food/water/bedding/thawing of peas (to lure them in lol) right when I go to put them to bed. I get it all done at some earlier point in the evening so when I go out just as it’s almost dark, all I have to do is give them their treats and get them locked in.

I just need to make everything as easy and stress free as possible otherwise they may get neglected on my “low spoon” days. And that’s something I absolutely don’t want happening.
I just want to say I commend you for your honesty! I’m the same way! I also am in a wheelchair. I am not sure how you are doing but I got to say that since we got ducks me and my husband have a new happy reason for going outside in many weather situations and at different hours, happily. Along with our 5 year old and our beagle. She immediately became protective of them but we did teach her to stay out of their pen bc we leave the door open in the day. Hopefully you have yours situated!

Back
Top Bottom